FIGMENT Derby

gryf...@hotmail.com

May 25, 2016, 1:43:17 PM5/25/16
to Derby Makers

I hope most of you will have heard us talking about FIGMENT at various points in the last couple of months. The FIGMENT movement began on Governors Island in New York in July 2007. Since then hundreds of thousands of people across America have engaged in events to celebrate creativity and interactive art. Excitingly, the first FIGMENT to happen in Europe is going to be on Cathedral Green on August 20th and is supported by the Silk Mill.

The aim of the event is to bring Derby’s artists, makers and volunteers together to test their most creative, innovative and challenging projects, sharing their experiences with the people of Derby and encouraging their audiences to not just look at their work but contribute.

We hope the Derby Makers will take up a challenge to be a part of this in some way.  We think it's going to be brilliant fun for everyone.

In the lead up to the event, we will be hosting a series of FIGMENT Derby artist/maker and volunteer meet ups here at the Silk Mill.  The third of these (the first and second happened in April and May) tomorrow evening between 6pm and 9pm. It’ll just be very informal and just a chance for us to talk about what FIGMENT Derby might be and what we collectively might like to bring to it.  Don't worry if you can’t make it this time, we will be scheduling a series of meet-ups going forward and we’ll be publicising these via the website and social media in advance (and I'll try to remember to pop them on here of course, too) so there will be plenty of opportunities for you to meet your fellow artists, makers and volunteers in the build-up to the event.

The FIGMENT Derby website is now live too: http://derby.figmentproject.org/

I hope you’ll be able to come tomorrow evening or, if not, one of the upcoming meet-ups.  And please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us with any questions or ideas in the meantime.

All best,

Gemma