David Evans

Glyn Smith

Mar 27, 2016, 2:40:14 AM3/27/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
I read this this morning... :-(My thought go out to all his friends and family

Morgan Barke

Mar 27, 2016, 5:00:45 AM3/27/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Incredibly sad news. RIP David. I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to get to know David as a Derby Maker.
Can't quite get my head round this having only seen him last week.

Paul Stevens

Mar 27, 2016, 5:03:46 AM3/27/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com

I have not been able to see the fb page so could not believe the news.  So sad for such a nice guy.

Paul

Graeme Smith

Mar 27, 2016, 8:20:10 AM3/27/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Sadly I've just had confirmation of this from Will Bednall who's family were good friends with David and were out with him on Friday night. He asked me to pass this on.
He didn't arrive for a work event on Saturday and he was subsequently found at his home by Police.
No further information but nothing suspicious found.

I'm sure all who knew this generous, intelligent and funny man will be as devastated and saddened as I am.

Perhaps we could raise a glass of remembrance to him at the meeting on Wednesday?

image1.JPG

Graeme

Tony Brookes

Mar 27, 2016, 8:49:33 AM3/27/16
to Derby Makers
David, you will be missed & will be remembered. What horrible news, and for us, the second such news of this type this week.

How can we as a group commemorate him?

Tony

Graeme Smith

Mar 27, 2016, 9:14:03 AM3/27/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Agreed Tony. we must ensure that David's contribution to DM is marked properly and remembered.

Morgan and I will be at the Mill on Wednesday evening.
Would appreciate any Derby Maker past or present joining us if you are able.

Graeme

Bob Scratchit

Mar 27, 2016, 9:47:08 AM3/27/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Goodbye David.  You will truly be missed as a member of our community for your humour and willingness to help everyone to learn.

Sadly I will not be there on Wednesday, but wherever I am I too shall raise a glass to your memory.

Jonathan.

Britta Jarvis

Mar 27, 2016, 10:01:42 AM3/27/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com

wow &#X02639 I'll miss David, he was lovely to have around at DM. He was always friendly and willing to chat and pass on some of his extensive knowledge.

I won't be around this Wednesday eve so someone will have to drink a glass on my behalf (if that's the plan).

It's very difficult to get my head around the fact that we'll never see David again. This kind of thing is rarely said but I hope everyone at Derby Makers knows; I appreciate you all for your good company and spirit of learning!

Best wishes to you all, and especially to David's family.

- Britta

Mar 27, 2016, 10:04:15 AM3/27/16
to Derby Makers
Dear Derby Makers

We are all deeply shocked and saddened by this news and would like to express our deepest condolences at this sad time.

David was an extremely insightful, intelligent and generous person and as such formed a key part of Derby Makers and the development of the Silk Mill from its very beginnings.

David will be sorely missed by all who knew him at Derby Museums and we would like to offer any support we can in acknowledging David's invaluable contribution to Derby Makers and the Silk Mill.

Andrea
On behalf of Derby Museums and The Silk Mill team

Tony Brookes

Mar 27, 2016, 4:21:03 PM3/27/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
This turned up in my Twitter feed today. Somehow it seemed fitting and dates from Anglo-Saxon times.

Nis naðer ne gold ne seolfor wið godes mannes freondscipe wiðmeten.

Neither gold nor silver can compare to a good man's friendship.

Tony

On 27 Mar 2016, at 15:01, Britta Jarvis <popart...@hotmail.com> wrote:

wow <OutlookEmoji-&amp;#X02639.png> I'll miss David, he was lovely to have around at DM. He was always friendly and willing to chat and pass on some of his extensive knowledge.

Amanda McLaren

Mar 28, 2016, 12:47:31 PM3/28/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
I have just heard this very sad news and would like to echo the sentiments expressed by my fellow Derby Makers. My sympathies go out to family and friends.

Amanda

Amanda McLaren

MARK HANCOX

Mar 28, 2016, 3:22:12 PM3/28/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
I've been trying to thinking of something meaningful or appropriate to write, and I'm just failing miserably ... as Britta says, right now it's just disbelief that we won't be seeing him again.

I remember the first time I met David, at the first Maker Faire - when Derby Makers was just myself and Jonathan at a table, not even a ropemaker, and David was a visitor just asking about DM - so I guess I was one of the first of us to meet him. I'll miss him - and his generosity, with his time and with his knowledge.

Unless I have a family commitment I can't break, I'll be down at the Silk Mill this Wednesday; perhaps to raise a glass to David in the Silk Mill (pub)?

Stuart Weaver

Mar 28, 2016, 6:36:38 PM3/28/16
to Derby Makers
Just seen this after accessing my emails, this is very sad news and my condolences are with the family and close friends. I look forward to raising a glass this Wednesday as a celebration of his life and contributions that have helped to make Derby Makers what it is today.

Stuart.

Gregory Parker

Mar 29, 2016, 12:12:15 PM3/29/16
to Derby Makers
This is really sad. David was such a lovely, funny and intelligent guy and Derby Makers won't be the same without him. Such an asset to the group.

My thoughts go out to his friends and family.

Sadly, I won't be able to make Wednesday, but I'll be there in spirit.

Ben Dunicliff

Mar 29, 2016, 12:30:05 PM3/29/16
to Derby Makers
The messages on this group really symbolise how big of an impact David had on everyone at Derby Makers. He had an amazing character and such intelligence.

He will be missed greatly. My condolences to his friends and family.

Graeme Smith

Mar 31, 2016, 5:06:09 PM3/31/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com, K...@derbymuseums.org, and...@derbymuseums.org, Han...@derbymuseums.org, Chris Keady, Em...@derbymuseums.org, Stuart Parkinson
Hi all,
I don't want a lasting tribute to David to be another one of those makes I never get around to doing so I thought I'd set the ball rolling and ask that between us we decide on a way forward.

A suggestion was made to have a chair back engraved.
I'd want it to be a new one rather than one we already have and Kim Miller has suggested shaping the top to match David's distinctive hat! I really like that idea.

We also want some wording on whatever we do. Something more than 'in memory of'?

I like the idea of having the chair USED, not just stuck away somewhere. David helped so many of us that perhaps it can be the chair that that week's greeter sits in? New people can be told to look for the person sitting at the chair with a hat?

Anyway, just starting ideas to open the conversation.

all the best to you all
Graeme

Morgan Barke

Apr 1, 2016, 2:48:43 AM4/1/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for this Graeme. Yes, I really like the idea of the hat chair back.

I am will be updating David's website profile with something to remember him by. So I would be most grateful if I can get a digital copy of any suitable photos of Davids time at Derby Makers. The ones presented on Wednesday would be a great start. I will need help with the copy though.
Would be great to blog about the chair process and share the design files, so the hat profile could be potential hacked and remixed into other projects.

Remembering David is on the agenda of the 13th April Committee Meeting, where we can discuss some of the additional ideas mentioned during Wednesday, such as creating a David Evans Maker of Excellence Award. If you have any more ideas, please share them at the meeting, or/and feel free to sound them out here.

Cheers, Morgan

Fox, Hannah

Apr 1, 2016, 4:24:55 AM4/1/16
to Graeme Smith, derby-...@googlegroups.com, Miller, Kim, Mercer, Andrea, Keady, Chris, Hallam, Emma, Stuart Parkinson

Hi Graeme,

I was thinking about the wording this morning while driving in.

How about this for a start. Simple. Open to thoughts/change of course.

David Evans helped make this place.

He will always be part of it.

March 2016.

Or

David Evans helped make this place.

He is missed but always remembered.

March 2016.

Hannah Fox

Silk Mill Project Director, Derby Museums Trust

MUSEUM and ART GALLERY | THE STRAND| DERBY | DE1 1BS

TELEPHONE +44 (0)1332 641909

www.derbymuseums.org

Follow me: @hannahfox

Like us: facebook.com/derbymuseums

To keep up to date with the development of THE SILK MILL please follow us on tumblr or via twitter @derbysilkmill

Gregory Parker

Graeme Smith

Apr 1, 2016, 5:35:12 AM4/1/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com, Han...@derbymuseums.org, and...@derbymuseums.org
The excellence award has been something I've been thinking about also.

At school I won the Haydn Smith Metalwork award. A tribute to a student who died a few years earlier.
image1.JPG

Yep, I'm not convinced it's me in the picture either!

I still have,and use, the saw and hand drill I was awarded.
Just two tools in a box and a small plaque, but they were good quality and remind me of Haydn every time I use them.

Graeme

Stuart Weaver

Apr 11, 2016, 4:29:37 AM4/11/16
to Derby Makers, Han...@derbymuseums.org, and...@derbymuseums.org
I've been in contact with David's Friend Rob (visited last Thursday), who has passed on the details of the memorial event at the University. Derby Makers are more than welcome to attend:

Dr David Evans Memorial Event
Wednesday 13th April @ 16:00
Room S104 (Dovedale),
Kedleston Road

Unfortunately I won't be able to attend, but please send details on to those that may like to.

Regards,
Stu

James Moore

Apr 11, 2016, 4:57:58 AM4/11/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for letting us know Stuart, I do hope some of us can get there!
Like most folks I'm guessing I will be at work at the time, but I hope we can get reports at the meeting in the evening.
See you all soon,

Jim

Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 01:29:37 -0700
From: smwea...@gmail.com
To: derby-...@googlegroups.com
CC: Han...@derbymuseums.org; and...@derbymuseums.org
Subject: Re: [derby-makers] Remembering

Tony Brookes

Apr 11, 2016, 5:03:49 AM4/11/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I can’t get there, away this week.
Tony

MARK HANCOX

Apr 11, 2016, 4:06:44 PM4/11/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
I think I can make it - courtesy of working from home this Wednesday, I'll actually be around for once.

If anyone wants a lift from somewhere near the middle of Derby, please let me know?

Cheers
Mark

Bob Scratchit

Apr 12, 2016, 4:26:46 AM4/12/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com

Mark - any chance I could have a lift from RR? Susi needs the car tomorrow.

Cheers

Jonathan

Morgan Barke

Apr 12, 2016, 8:43:55 AM4/12/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
All being well, I will be there. Cheers, Morgan

MARK HANCOX

Apr 12, 2016, 10:26:28 AM4/12/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com

Jonathan - pick you up outside Lombard around 3.20?

Glyn Smith

Apr 12, 2016, 10:32:47 AM4/12/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Hoping to be there,assuming I can leave work a little earlier.

MARK HANCOX

Apr 14, 2016, 12:39:16 PM4/14/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com

Just want  to say I was impressed by the excellent turn out by dm and silk mill yesterday at David's memorial event, 9 of us in total - and by graeme's  words which brilliantly summed up David's contribution to dm. As always, we found out things about a friend after they're dead that we wish we'd known while they were alive.

Given that David was so into helping other people's projects, my feeling is that whatever memeorial we do for him, it has to be both useful and helpful to the widest range of people.

Cheers
Mark

On 12 Apr 2016 8:26 pm, "Jonathan" <scratch...@gmail.com> wrote:
Mark. That would be perfect. Thanks.