Rolls-Royce Trent XWB exhibition

grant gibson

Feb 19, 2015, 12:02:10 PM2/19/15
to derby-...@googlegroups.com

All,

As some of you may have seen the Silk Mill was on the BBC local news yesterday promoting the forthcoming XWB exhibition. I was asked to demo the additive layer manufacturing funky foam jet engine activity and supposedly since people saw the piece the Silk Mill has been inundated with questions from members of the public. I am on my way to Swansea at the moment and so cannot attend tonight and therefore I'm wondering if someone / multiple people could do me / the Silk Mill a favour.

I have sent Andrea the gcode file for the engine that should mean it will print in about 1 hour. Firstly could someone load the file on to the SD card and check it prints ok. If it doesn't can you let me know ASAP.

Secondly since returning from Ultimaker the prints are sticking extremely well to the print bed. I have tried completely turning off the heat bed and the prints are still sticking like nobody's business. I have read on the Ultimaker forum that the only thing you can do is completely clean any glue off the buildplate and then try printing without any heat Or glue. Could someone try this please? I was getting rather frustrated the other day when the prints are sticking so well because there is just no way to get them off without ruining them.

Long winded email I know so sorry about that... I wouldn't have said anything if I hadn't been told how popular the item has been.

Regards

Grant

David Evans

Feb 19, 2015, 3:29:11 PM2/19/15
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
On 19 Feb 2015, at 17:02, grant gibson <grantg...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I have sent Andrea the gcode file for the engine that should mean it will print in about 1 hour. Firstly could someone load the file on to the SD card and check it prints ok. If it doesn't can you let me know ASAP.

It didn’t print OK.

> Secondly since returning from Ultimaker the prints are sticking extremely well to the print bed. I have tried completely turning off the heat bed and the prints are still sticking like nobody's business. I have read on the Ultimaker forum that the only thing you can do is completely clean any glue off the buildplate and then try printing without any heat Or glue. Could someone try this please? I was getting rather frustrated the other day when the prints are sticking so well because there is just no way to get them off without ruining them.

This didn’t work; the print didn’t stick at all and just spun around like a dervish. Blah.

grant gibson

Feb 19, 2015, 3:31:22 PM2/19/15
to derby-...@googlegroups.com

Thanks I'll try and slice it again I don't know why it's leaving gaps in the print the only thing I can think is it needs slowing down?

Any ideas? I'm slicing in the latest cura so can't understand why it doesn't print properly it used to print fine.

Regards

Grant

David Evans

Feb 19, 2015, 3:34:48 PM2/19/15
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
On 19 Feb 2015, at 20:31, grant gibson <grantg...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Thanks I'll try and slice it again I don't know why it's leaving gaps in the print the only thing I can think is it needs slowing down?

I didn’t mess around with it at all; at the prime experimentation time I got dong other things.

> Any ideas? I'm slicing in the latest cura so can't understand why it doesn't print properly it used to print fine.

The bed wasn’t heating at all and I scraped off all the glue, so this is the other extreme!

grant gibson

Feb 19, 2015, 3:39:24 PM2/19/15
to derby-...@googlegroups.com

Right so it might print if there is a bit of glue on..... Alternatively we could try blue decorators tape. Hopefully if it sticks it should print ok. Thanks for trying anyway.

Grant

David Evans

Feb 19, 2015, 3:44:05 PM2/19/15
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
On 19 Feb 2015, at 20:39, grant gibson <grantg...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Right so it might print if there is a bit of glue on..... Alternatively we could try blue decorators tape. Hopefully if it sticks it should print ok. Thanks for trying anyway.

Yeah, I have pretty much no experience in this. But someone else might!

Your latest file is on the SD card,b called “trent-engine”, so it’s ripe for faffing.

Stuart Weaver

Feb 27, 2015, 10:19:47 AM2/27/15
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Grant,
Just to update you, about 10mins after you left the middle part of the fan that was printing became unstuck and started messing up the printing. Kim seemed to be putting it down to maybe having too much glue on the bottom which is adding extra force between the nozzle and printed piece.

Regards,
Stu

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 20:34 David Evans <dfe...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 19 Feb 2015, at 20:31, grant gibson <grantg...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Thanks I'll try and slice it again I don't know why it's leaving gaps in the print the only thing I can think is it needs slowing down?

I didn’t mess around with it at all; at the prime experimentation time I got dong other things.

> Any ideas? I'm slicing in the latest cura so can't understand why it doesn't print properly it used to print fine.

The bed wasn’t heating at all and I scraped off all the glue, so this is the other extreme!

grant gibson

Feb 27, 2015, 12:45:26 PM2/27/15
to derby-...@googlegroups.com

Right that is annoying I think I might increase the temperature of the filament then to 250C and probably reduce the fan speed hopefully that will allow it to stick better

Thanks for letting me know

Regards

Grant

Pat McDonald

Mar 7, 2015, 10:56:40 AM3/7/15
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Greetings from Nottinghack. Noticed the thread, hope this suggestion helps...

After extensive testing of materials (including such weird and wonderful ones as honey, PVA, pritt stick and ABS slurry) the clear winner was...

PVC pipe cement!

Shelf life is a problem, you have a keep the lid on tight. But for a thin layer that sticks both ABS or PLA, it's pretty much the best. Peels off easy as well, stubborn bits need a little acetone.