What if? Machine: Team/s for first opening event on Saturday February 13th

Amanda McLaren

Jan 7, 2016, 8:18:10 AM1/7/16
to Derby Makers
What if? Machine...brief to follow, but basically if you are available on the 13th Feb and would like to be part of a making team or to support the event please sign up.

Tony Brookes

Jan 7, 2016, 9:06:40 AM1/7/16
to 'grant gibson' via Derby Makers
Happy to support the event. I note the event is 10am-5pm, so what time are we meant to be there as support?

On 7 Jan 2016, at 13:18, Amanda McLaren <part...@gmail.com> wrote:

What if? Machine...brief to follow, but basically if you are available on the 13th Feb and would like to be part of a making team or to support the event please sign up.

David Evans

Jan 7, 2016, 10:42:38 AM1/7/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
On 7 Jan 2016, at 14:06, Tony Brookes <ggsonb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Happy to support the event. I note the event is 10am-5pm, so what time are we meant to be there as support?

I’m unsure, Tony, but shall ask.

I plan to submit a DM team; who wants to be in on it? Glynn, you have to be! :)

Al Johnson

Jan 8, 2016, 1:55:17 PM1/8/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
I think I'll be available - it's the weekend before the beer festival.

David Evans

Jan 13, 2016, 1:43:37 PM1/13/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
I’m about to register our team but we need a team name. I don’t want to be too despotic so make suggestions! Or I will be despotic.

Glyn Smith

Jan 13, 2016, 1:45:49 PM1/13/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

Looks like I've got a pass out, so count me in :-)

Glyn Smith

Jan 13, 2016, 1:46:18 PM1/13/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Team Despotic?

MARK HANCOX

Jan 17, 2016, 6:22:05 AM1/17/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
I can make myself available for the What If? Machine day; I'll probably be more useful as an event helper than as a machine builder!

Is there any more info yet as to what's involved? The SM website is light on detail ...

Cheers
Mark

David Evans

Jan 17, 2016, 6:34:58 AM1/17/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
On 17 Jan 2016, at 11:22, MARK HANCOX <mhan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I can make myself available for the What If? Machine day; I'll probably be more useful as an event helper than as a machine builder!

Cool!

> Is there any more info yet as to what's involved? The SM website is light on detail …

I don’t know any more; I shall ask. I know that they would appreciate advocacy/advertising to get other teams involved.

I expect the day itself to be something very similar to previous times.

MARK HANCOX

Jan 17, 2016, 6:55:14 AM1/17/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com

I've not been to one of these before, so I have no prior experience to compare with!

Morgan Barke

Feb 1, 2016, 4:45:19 AM2/1/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
As I understand it from this thread, the team is comprised of...

TEAM DESPOTIC
David
Glyn
Al
Mark

HELPERS
Tony

What is a sensible number of team members? I have now have a pass, so  I am up for being in the build team and am also happy to marshal, help, etc.

If 3 is a good team number, then does anyone else want to commit, so we can perhaps create a second team? Or has that ship already sailed?

Cheers, Morgan

Paul Stevens

Feb 1, 2016, 4:58:48 AM2/1/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
If you need any more helpers or a gofer then I can be there as well.
Cheers
Paul

David Evans

Feb 1, 2016, 5:53:43 AM2/1/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Based on the past, each team's task is to build a machine that, when a mechanical trigger fires, does some stuff and then fires an “output” trigger. The stuff it does should be needlessly complex, obtuse, and amusing. The team may be given a box of ingredients, such as marbles, paper cups, bungee cords, and so on.

Britta Jarvis

Feb 1, 2016, 6:23:18 AM2/1/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
I will most likely be working that day so I can't promise I'll be there to help unfortunately :( It does remind me though of this cool video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzAQ-jYfEqA&list=FLOCePbT83AnA8LBqj_4mz0w&index=22 maybe it can inspire something for us! If team name suggestions are still needed, here's some:

1) Manic Makers
2) Danger Mouse (like our initials DM)
3) The Goldberg Collective
4) Cause & Effect (particularly good if in the end we only have a team of two?)
5) A Rube Awakening

See you on Wednesday,

- Britta :)

> Subject: Re: [derby-makers] What if? Machine: Team/s for first opening event on Saturday February 13th
> From: dfe...@gmail.com
> Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 10:55:14 +0000
> To: derby-...@googlegroups.com

MARK HANCOX

Feb 1, 2016, 3:30:09 PM2/1/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
I confess I was more thinking of myself as an event helper rather than a machine builder! So if Morgan wants to drop into that place in the team that's fine with me.

From an earlier conversation with Amanda I understood that to log our interest as a helper we just needed to reply to this thread; is that still the case, or should we contact the SM directly?

Cheers
Mark

Morgan Barke

Feb 1, 2016, 4:00:38 PM2/1/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Cool. Put me down as a builder then.

Chris Keady

Feb 4, 2016, 5:36:11 AM2/4/16
to Derby Makers
Hello everyone!

Please find the What If Machine Maker Pack attached.

All offers of support are greatly appreciated - thank you.

If you would like to come to support and not be part of a Team officially then you are welcome to attend whenever you are available between 10am-5pm.

There's one space left for a team if you want a second Derby Maker Team, I've had one team apply so far.

Thank you!!

Chris
What if Machine 2016 Maker Pack.pdf

David Evans

Feb 4, 2016, 5:58:17 AM2/4/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
On 4 Feb 2016, at 10:36, Chris Keady <chr...@derbymuseums.org> wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> Please find the What If Machine Maker Pack attached.

Thanks for sending this along, Chris. In keeping with being a despot, I have made myself the main contact for Team Despotic. (Britta, I like your ideas but they came comparatively late!)

> There's one space left for a team if you want a second Derby Maker Team, I've had one team apply so far.

Any takers? Perhaps those wo hate the name Team Despotic. Britta could spearhead an insurrection!

Message has been deleted

gryf...@hotmail.com

Feb 4, 2016, 11:38:07 AM2/4/16
to Derby Makers
Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all your posts.  It's fab that you'll be taking part as a team and that a couple of you want to be helpers on the day too.  I'm really excited.  I've never seen a 'What If? Machine even so I'm very intrigued.

One thing that's come up in discussion with a few of the Derby Makers is that, although it's great to take photos to document the day, it's even better to film the machine running from beginning to end.  Talking with other Silk Mill team members, it seems this has proven a bit of a challenge in the past, particularly with crowds of people in the space.  So we thought it might be a good idea to ask you ingenious lot in case you might have the kit/skills/inventiveness to help us.  Might any of you be able to help us with filming on the 13th perhaps?  Or might you be able to advise us on the best way to capture the machine running (bearing in mind that if it's not a Derby Maker doing the filming it may be me, with little technical affinity or ability to speak of.  Any help you might be able to give would be hugely appreciated.

With massive thanks and very best wishes,

Paul Stevens

Feb 4, 2016, 11:42:05 AM2/4/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com

I have done some time lapse photography and could Compress the building part into a couple of minutes film.  But the running might be better just as a video.  I have the kit to do this but it might be a problem if it's very crowded.  I'll be at the SM next wed so could chat then.

All the best
Paul

On 4 Feb 2016 16:38, <gryf...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks so much for all of your posts and offers of building and support on the day.  I think it's going to be great!  I've never seen a 'What If? Machine' event before so I'm really intrigued and excited to see how it'll work.

In talking to one or two Derby Makers over the past couple of weeks, it seems that the consensus with you guys is that, although photographing the making process and finished machine is good, it's important to try to capture a film of the machine running from beginning to end.  Having talked to a couple of the Silk Mill team, it seems like this has, understandably, proven to be a little challenging in past years, particularly when the space is full of visitors. So we thought it might be a good idea to ask you ingenious lot, in case you might have any bright ideas as to how we might capture the machine running.  Better still if one of you might be available on the day to help with this on the 13th.

Have any of you got any ingenious ideas and/or might you be available to help us to capture the machine running from beginning to end?  Please bear in mind that if you're not available on the day, it might be me trying to capture the run-through and I have no great affinity with nor aptitude for operating complex kit.  Very happy to have a tutorial beforehand though.

On Thursday, 7 January 2016 13:18:10 UTC, Amanda McLaren wrote:
What if? Machine...brief to follow, but basically if you are available on the 13th Feb and would like to be part of a making team or to support the event please sign up.

David Evans

Feb 4, 2016, 11:49:33 AM2/4/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
I’ll ask whether there are “film students” (whatever that might mean) at the uni would would want to get in on this.

Tony Brookes

Feb 4, 2016, 1:04:15 PM2/4/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
At the mini makers faire a couple of years ago someone put an iPhone up high and then took a time-lapse of the day. I have no idea what mounting they used nor the app but I loved the time lapse video…….

Tony

Glyn Smith

Feb 4, 2016, 1:05:48 PM2/4/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Ill bring a camera or two along :-)

Britta Jarvis

Feb 5, 2016, 6:14:03 AM2/5/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com

Hi everyone :)

Firstly! If you go to Tiger (ground floor in the intu centre) you will find mini handheld sewing machines for £3. Fits into your hand like a stapler, one squeeze = one stitch. Pretty much the best £3 you will spend!

Secondly, I remembered about the existence of magnetic paint last Wednesday while admiring the new soon-to-be-chalkboard displays, and it seems to be a thing that the Silk Mill needs to have. You can even get magnetic chalkboard paint (2 in 1!) like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dulux-Magnetic-Blackboard-Paint-750ml/dp/B00GXK6KFU . Just thought everyone should know about it if they didn't before.

Thirdly, Jim and I will be doing a Costco shop for Derby Makers and bring it in on Wednesday night. Apart from Millac Maid (single serve milk portions), what do we need? Tea bags?

Finally, I've finally upgraded the RAM in my desktop PC, so I have two 256MB parts to dispose of somehow. Does anyone want them for a project? If not, does anyone know the best way to recycle them?

- Britta

Morgan Barke

Feb 5, 2016, 6:37:14 AM2/5/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Not only 4 different subjects in a single post, but no indication of what any of those subjects are in the "subject"...
Now, does responding rather than creating new thread for each of your subjects, make me as equally terrible person? Possibly... :)

1. Can you bring it in for a demo for people to see in action?
2. Thanks for the heads up
3. Yes, can you get Instant Hot Chocolate.
4. If you don't find a home, then stick the sticks of RAM on top of the cupboard and they will be either be used or disposed of responsibly.

Cheers, Morgan.

David Evans

Feb 5, 2016, 7:38:06 AM2/5/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
On 5 Feb 2016, at 11:14, Britta Jarvis <popart...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone :)

Hi!

> Thirdly, Jim and I will be doing a Costco shop for Derby Makers and bring it in on Wednesday night. Apart from Millac Maid (single serve milk portions), what do we need? Tea bags?

Tea, please! A cubic mile of tea!!!

Thanks.

Paul Stevens

Feb 5, 2016, 1:10:52 PM2/5/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Britta,  thanks for the info.  The only thing we seem to be missing is some sugar.  It might be best to get the sachets rather than a big bag as I think that would get messy after a few weeks.
Cheers
Paul

Al Johnson

Feb 5, 2016, 1:36:03 PM2/5/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
I'm sure I can find a spare jar to put some sugar in, rather than keep it in a
bag.

Paul Stevens

Feb 5, 2016, 1:40:30 PM2/5/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com

It's not the packaging.  It's people putting wet coffee spoons in the sugar that's the problem.  Not that anyone in DM would do such a thing.

All the best
Paul

James Moore

Feb 6, 2016, 10:29:36 AM2/6/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys, got all the stuff now - tea bags, hot choc, milk and sugar sachets- I'll pass them to britta asap with receipts and we'll 'av a proper brew on wednesday.

Jim

Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 18:40:29 +0000
Subject: Re: [derby-makers] four subjects, one post. Hope that doesn't make me a terrible person.
From: paulantho...@gmail.com
To: derby-...@googlegroups.com

gryf...@hotmail.com

Feb 8, 2016, 10:15:52 AM2/8/16
to Derby Makers
Hi all,

Thanks so much for all the suggestions relating to filming of the What If?.  Yes, let's talk about it on Wednesday.

Looking forward to seeing you all.

With massive thanks and very best wishes,

Gemma

MARK HANCOX

Feb 8, 2016, 4:31:48 PM2/8/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Gemma - for those of us who've offered to help out this Saturday (myself included!), is there a plan? What time to be there, what will be expected of us, etc ...? I struggle to make it to Wednesday evenings these days due to work and family commitments, so a heads up via this group would be very helpful.

Thanks
Mark

Morgan Barke

Feb 13, 2016, 1:46:18 PM2/13/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com

Big thanks to the Silk Mill team for putting on an excellent event. Team Despotic had a great day in producing their What If contraption, that actually worked 3 times in a row :)
Already looking forward to next year!

gryf...@hotmail.com

Feb 16, 2016, 6:50:29 AM2/16/16
to Derby Makers
Hi Mark,

I'm so sorry!  I've only just spotted this message from you.  I'm not sure how I managed to miss it but please accept my apologies.  If in doubt, you're always welcome to email me direct: ge...@derbymuseums.org  and I'll try to pay closer attention to the group threads too in the hope I won't miss things in future.

So sorry Mark.

Very best regards,

Gemma