Cutting acrylic on laser cutter?

Duane Walker

Nov 18, 2015, 5:08:14 PM11/18/15
to Derby Makers
Hi all,

Just checking - can the laser cutter cut acrylic sheet? And if so, how thick? Anything to be aware - is laser-specific acrylic required?

Many thanks,
Duane

Morgan Barke

Nov 19, 2015, 2:32:34 AM11/19/15
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Yes. Up to 12 mm.

The laser is not perfectly aligned, therefore the cut is not perpendicular to the face. So if you want to slot pieces together, they are not square. This is the same for MDF and plywood.
Any acrylic is fine. Cast acrylic gives a better, more defined, whiter engraving (although I have note actually tested this myself.

Hope this is helps. Morgan.

Ben Dunicliff

Dec 5, 2015, 4:17:57 PM12/5/15
to Derby Makers
Whats the situation with Metal sheets on the machine. I need to engrave some aluminium :D

Morgan Barke

Dec 6, 2015, 4:32:55 AM12/6/15
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
I am not sure if it has been done on the Silk Mill machine yet.
It would be good if you could research and document the process, ready for the new website.

Ben Dunicliff

Dec 6, 2015, 11:11:05 AM12/6/15
to Derby Makers
Do we know what model the laser cutter is?

Morgan Barke

Dec 6, 2015, 12:02:35 PM12/6/15
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Its specific model is not important, as it is not of a known brand. Consider it a 120w Chinese laser cutter with a 100mm focal depth lens.