Utopia Works Invite

Graeme Smith

May 3, 2016, 5:17:23 PM5/3/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com, and...@derbymuseums.org
Hi all,
on Friday 20th May there is an 'Energy Hack' event taking place at the Mill. Details are attached.
If anyone is available to offer some DM volunteer hours to help facilitate some Making it would be much appreciated.
Makes are being displayed at Somerset House in June so it's quite a high profile event.
Graeme

You're Invited to Utopia Works: Energy Hack at Derby Silk Mill.

View this email in your browser

UTOPIA WORKS: ENERGY HACK

We are delighted to invite you to participate in Utopia Works at the site of the world’s first factory, Derby Silk Mill on 20th May 2016.

Utopia Works will be an Energy Hack. It will seek to activate conversations around energy and the themes of industry, engineering, making. It is inviting a sense of shared ownership of the dilemmas, choices and opportunities around energy and climate change, faced by a range of people in the region of the English Midlands.

We think you are a vital part of this conversation and invite you to bring your dilemmas, concerns, passion and skills to address energy futures in an intensive one-day hack.

We are inviting you to make a factory (works) of utopian thinking and making, which will bring together research, community and creative partners in an enterprise of co-production. Utopia Works will take place from 9am – 8pm at the Derby Silk Mill and is influenced by Thomas More’s Utopia.

Thomas More was the first to give a name and form to an idea that has captured human imagination throughout history: that by imagining a better world is possible, we are empowered to create it.

Please RSVP by 6 May 2016 to la...@derbymuseums.org

In the 500th anniversary year of the publication of Utopia, Derby Museums together with the AHRC Connected Communities project Stories of Change intend the Utopia Works event to create a space where creative and participatory processes can help provoke thinking about new and alternative energy futures.

Participants include makers, hackers, artists, academics, volunteers, designers, museum professionals, energy experts, employers and employees from industry.

The outcomes of the day will be showcased at Somerset House, London at the AHRC Connected Communities Utopias Fair in June 2016. They will also be presented on the Stories of Change online Platform. The Utopia Works event and programme of ‘congenial activities’ will diversify community engagement with the Stories of Change research project about energy and industry and will also inform the development of the Derby Silk Mill - Museum of Making.

This email was sent to and...@derbymuseums.org
Derby Museums · The Strand · Derby, Derbyshire DE1 1BS · United Kingdom

Tony Brookes

May 4, 2016, 10:30:48 AM5/4/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
OK, that’s my place booked, who else is coming?

Tony

Graeme Smith

May 4, 2016, 10:46:15 AM5/4/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
brilliant . Thanks Tony.

Graeme

On 4 May 2016, at 3:38 pm, Tony Brookes <ggsonb...@gmail.com> wrote:

OK, that’s my place booked, who else is coming?

Tony

Paul Stevens

May 4, 2016, 10:46:53 AM5/4/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com

Me!

All the best
Paul

Graeme Smith

May 4, 2016, 4:10:48 PM5/4/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Just been informed that breakfast, lunch and dinner is being provided.
yay.

Graeme

gryf...@hotmail.com

May 23, 2016, 6:08:53 AM5/23/16
to Derby Makers
Hi all,

Just a note to say a massive thank you to all of you who came and took part in the 'Energy Hack' here at the Silk Mill on Friday.  I'm told that all of your contributions were hugely valuable to proceedings so thanks so much for taking the time to come and share your skills, experience and ideas.

Thank you!

Very best,

Gemma