'scope screen size

David Evans

Mar 1, 2014, 11:48:59 AM3/1/14
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
A question for all but Mr Wombat in particular.

‘scopes like the Rigol DS1052E have a 5” display whereas things like the Tenma 72-8705 (and any number of its ilk of ‘scopes from China) claim 7” wide. Is the extra screen real estate just filled with rubbish or is it actually useful? I’m looking for people’s experience as to how much this matters.

FloatingWombat

Mar 2, 2014, 4:47:50 PM3/2/14
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Hi David

Dr WOMBAT if you please :-) I didn't spend 3 years avoiding the dole for nothing you know (well the grant for the PhD paid better)! And WOMBAT sholud be in capitals - it is an acronym after after all :-)

I would be more concerned with the other specs and the overall performance than the screen size. The 5" screen on my DS1052E is good enough - mostly I am focussed on about 1" or 2" of the screen at a time. At work the scopes have screens up to about 12" - but still you look at 1" to 2". The big issue is the screen resolution - the screen on my Rigol is QVGA which is a bit blocky. Looking at the Tenma on Google - it is a 7" screen but all the images I have seen the menu buttons are shown - this eats up the extra real estate of the bigger screen.

Tim (WOM)

David Evans

Mar 3, 2014, 4:05:38 AM3/3/14
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
On 2 Mar 2014, at 21:47, FloatingWombat <timthefloa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dr WOMBAT if you please :-) I didn't spend 3 years avoiding the dole for nothing you know (well the grant for the PhD paid better)!

I tend not to use Dr on myself outside of the academic context, so it never occurs to me that others might for themselves. :)

> And WOMBAT sholud be in capitals - it is an acronym after after all :-)

It isn’t in all caps in the name associated with your email address…!

> I would be more concerned with the other specs and the overall performance than the screen size.

Fair enough, though my vision makes the screen size potentially a big deal in the sense that something too small can be a deal-breaker.

> The 5" screen on my DS1052E is good enough - mostly I am focussed on about 1" or 2" of the screen at a time. At work the scopes have screens up to about 12" - but still you look at 1" to 2”.

Yeah, I was thinking exactly this—that “the action” is no bigger but the screen may be filled with extra distractions.

> The big issue is the screen resolution - the screen on my Rigol is QVGA which is a bit blocky. Looking at the Tenma on Google - it is a 7" screen but all the images I have seen the menu buttons are shown - this eats up the extra real estate of the bigger screen.

Exactly.

Thanks!

FloatingWombat

Mar 3, 2014, 3:17:31 PM3/3/14
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Normally I don't bother with it either unless I am being ironic - but work did like it dangled in front of the punters. I know WOMBAT is in lower case on the e-mail but that it because I am retro.

Graeme Smith

Mar 4, 2014, 2:12:54 AM3/4/14
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Doctor fights are much more civilised in real life than on Dr. Who.

Graeme (not a doctor)

David Evans

Mar 4, 2014, 4:48:10 AM3/4/14
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
On 3 Mar 2014, at 20:17, FloatingWombat <timthefloa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Normally I don't bother with it either unless I am being ironic

I can be like that myself. :)

> - but work did like it dangled in front of the punters.

It is funny how that works...

On 4 Mar 2014, at 07:12, Graeme Smith <b.mcc...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> Doctor fights are much more civilised in real life than on Dr. Who.

I don’t think that either of us dress stylishly enough for that sort of thing.