Maker Night at the Silk Mill

Paul Stevens

Mar 10, 2017, 12:53:16 PM3/10/17
to Derby Makers
As I am sure most Derby Makers will know, the Silk Mill is due for a major rebuild to become one of the foremost Museums of Making in the country.  This £16.4 million project will take 2 to 3 years and clearly the Mill will be closed in this time.

Unfortunately this will affect us as the Mill will not be able to open on Wednesday evenings, because of a gap in the Mill's funding, so our final Derby Maker night, at the Mill, will be the 26th April.  The public sessions on Thursday and Saturday will also be closed, I understand. We have been told that if we could privately fund the staff costs then we could still use the workshop.  However,  health and safety regulations require that there are a minimum of 2 Mill staff on duty so this would not be cheap.

We are looking at alternative venues to meet up on Wednesdays, either as a meeting room or hopefully a workshop of some sort.   We hope to have something in place before we finish at the Silk Mill.

Morgan Barke

Mar 15, 2017, 4:31:18 PM3/15/17
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for posting this Paul.

I have updated the website with a note reflecting the above.

Cheers, Morgan