Greetings, my current projects, and a membership dues question!

Michael Cullen

Mar 2, 2016, 11:56:18 AM3/2/16
to Derby Makers

Howdy everyone!

I (technically) joined some time before Christmas, but uni stuff, fiancée stuff, and money stuff has so far unfortunately stopped me from attending. I believe that due to this I most likely owe several months of dues; if someone could check and let me know how much I owe then I'll get it sent over ASAP.

Despite the above, I've still been plugging away at my latest project in my spare time, and finally have something to show :)

These are some speakers I've been designing for small PA use, 50-100 people in a medium-sized room or open space. They'll be loaded with a pair of 6" drivers from Faital Pro, the 6FE200s, crossed at 5Khz with a Beyma CP21/F slot tweeter, giving 140 degree horizontal dispersion. Eventually they'll sit above a couple of THAM12 tapped horns, in the following configuration:

The top cabinets were designed using WinISD, tuned to a frequency of 80Hz; this should give plenty of room to cross them with the subs at 140Hz. By that point, group delay and phase variance should be low enough so as not to cause any issues.

Sims for the tops are as follows:

And the frequency response from the subs:

Internal construction visible here:

And finally, laid out on top of a 1220x2440 sheet of 12mm plywood:

If anyone has experience using the CNC machine, I may have to pick your brain :P I've got export to DXF down, but conversion to g-code tends to be the tricky bit, so any input would be welcomed.

Anyway, I'll be about on Thursday evening, so feel free to come and say hello; I'll be the guy with the spikey hair :)

Regards,
Michael

Morgan Barke

Mar 2, 2016, 7:12:04 PM3/2/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael

Thanks for sharing your project and its progress. Its looking great!

I am familiar with the CNC machine and will be able to give you a few pointers. I am normally about on Wednesdays (not next week). I currently can only get a pass for one evening a week.

See you around.

Cheers, Morgan

David Evans

Mar 3, 2016, 3:43:40 AM3/3/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
On 2 Mar 2016, at 14:39, Michael Cullen <michaelcu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Howdy everyone!

Hi! As Morgan said, good to meet you and the project is looking great!

> I (technically) joined some time before Christmas, but uni stuff, fiancée stuff, and money stuff has so far unfortunately stopped me from attending. I believe that due to this I most likely owe several months of dues; if someone could check and let me know how much I owe then I'll get it sent over ASAP.

You may have joined right around the switchover; I’ll see what’s up.

Did you come on a Wednesday/Thursday and try to talk to me about speaker design? I know that someone did and I admitted that I knew nothing about it!