Makers Market Update

grant gibson

Apr 14, 2018, 10:13:17 AM4/14/18
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
All,

Went and spoke to the duty manager at the pub today and here is what she said;

The event is outdoors either in the rear garden or the car park therefore we are going to need a pop-up gazebo in case of wind and rain

Power can be provided

The cost is £20 for a stall £10 is for charity and £10 is for the pub for the next event

The application form will be emailed to me

Going forward I think we need to agree whether we want to now commit to this event given that we need to purchase or borrow a decent gazebo in case of rain which is highly likely

Secondly we would need to progress with the leaflets and get them ordered

Happy to talk about this on Thursday but we will need to action it fairly soon

Regards

Grant

Morgan Barke

Apr 14, 2018, 6:06:20 PM4/14/18
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
I have a pop-up gazebo that can be borrowed and a folding table.

Grant

MARK HANCOX

Apr 15, 2018, 12:25:06 PM4/15/18
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Re: the leaflets (and business cards), I had a discussion with Morgan on Thursday :
  • Since no-one has objected to my preference of using Trebuchet MS as the consistent DM font going forward, I will confirm the use of that on the business cards I'm getting printed, and get 250 ordered (cost approx £19) - I understand from a discussion on Thursday that the website font can also be changed to be consistent (Al, is this easy?)
  • Since we are going to be experimenting with the Tuesday opening hours this year, I don't want to put "Open 1st Tuesday" or "Open all Tuesdays" on the cards since they'll immediately go out of date when something changes; therefore Morgan and I agreed that I will put "See website for meeting days and times" on the business cards - obviously we'll need to make sure we keep the website up to date as our opening hours evolve, and make sure the headline on the front page has this information
  • Grant : I see you put a reference to Twitter on your draft leaflets; I've avoided this on the business cards on the grounds that we don't currently have an active Twitter feed and I think we should avoid pointing people towards something which is clearly not maintained
  • Grant : unless you have any objections, I'd strongly recommend that the leaflets are consistent with the business cards for all the points above (font, opening info, Twitter reference)
  • Julie : how's it looking with getting Facebook up to date? Is there anything you need to make that happen? Do you (or anyone!) know what needs to be done to get our Twitter feed active again?
Also :
  • Grant : do you have any information on what the other participants will be doing? Will it mainly be people selling stuff, or will there be people offering activities? I think it we useful to know this so we can decide what we're going to take
  • Morgan/Paul : Assuming we're going to take the Ropemaker to the Maker Market, I'm going to need to stock up on wool and string ; are you OK for me to spend some money on this? I estimate around £20 to get a good stock
  • All : what else will we take?
Cheers
Mark Hancox
(DM Secretary)

Paul Stevens

Apr 15, 2018, 12:33:01 PM4/15/18
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark, yes please feel free to spend 20 on the rope maker materials. It's clearly something we will be using on these sort of events in the future.
Hope to see you Thursday
Cheers Paul

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/derby-makers.

Morgan Barke

Apr 15, 2018, 1:00:54 PM4/15/18
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Yes on £20, but check the cabinet, as I am sure we have some string and wool already.

grant gibson

Apr 15, 2018, 1:15:39 PM4/15/18
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Happy to go with the text format and suggestions re twitter etc.

From what I can  gather it is mainly people selling things I've told the pub that we are more about drumming up membership but I see no reason why we couldn't charge say £1 for the rope making if we wanted to but happy to open that up to the concensus. She said to me she wants creative stands but I think they are trying to organise it a bit last minute due to Easter (people were away) and the weather hasn't been great so they've been trying to work out what to do. I'm not expecting the event to be the busiest to be honest but it has the potential to drum up some new members

Regards

Grant

Al Johnson

Apr 15, 2018, 2:04:19 PM4/15/18
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
It might also be in a bag in our section of shelf in the back room. That's
where the roll up banners and vis vests are too.

On Sunday, 15 April 2018 17:00:42 BST Morgan Barke wrote:
> [...]
> >> above (font, opening info, Twitter reference)
> >> - *Julie* : how's it looking with getting Facebook up to date? Is
> >> there anything you need to make that happen? Do you (or anyone!) know
> >> what
> >> needs to be done to get our Twitter feed active again?
> >>
> >> Also :
> >> - *Grant* : do you have any information on what the other
> >> participants will be doing? Will it mainly be people selling stuff, or
> >> will
> >> there be people offering activities? I think it we useful to know this
> >> so
> >> we can decide what *we're* going to take
> >> - *Morgan/Paul* : Assuming we're going to take the Ropemaker to the
> >> Maker Market, I'm going to need to stock up on wool and string ; are
> >> you OK
> >> for me to spend some money on this? I estimate around £20 to get a

Al Johnson

Apr 15, 2018, 2:12:38 PM4/15/18
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Regarding font, shouldn't be too hard to modify, but I'd need to look closely
to be sure. Because of the way the font's being loaded at the moment I suspect
something slightly non-standard, but it could be as easy as an option in the
theme settings.

On Sunday, 15 April 2018 17:25:04 BST MARK HANCOX wrote:
> Re: the leaflets (and business cards), I had a discussion with Morgan on
> Thursday :
>
> - Since no-one has objected to my preference of using Trebuchet MS as
> the consistent DM font going forward, I will confirm the use of that on
> the business cards I'm getting printed, and get 250 ordered (cost approx
> £19) - I understand from a discussion on Thursday that the website font
> *can* also be changed to be consistent (*Al*, is this *easy*?)
> - Since we are going to be experimenting with the Tuesday opening hours
> this year, I don't want to put "Open 1st Tuesday" or "Open all Tuesdays"
> on the cards since they'll immediately go out of date when something
> changes; therefore Morgan and I agreed that I will put "See website for
> meeting days and times" on the business cards - obviously we'll need to
> make sure we keep the website up to date as our opening hours evolve, and
> make sure the headline on the front page has this information
> - *Grant* : I see you put a reference to Twitter on your draft leaflets;
> I've avoided this on the business cards on the grounds that we don't
> currently have an active Twitter feed and I think we should avoid
> pointing people towards something which is clearly not maintained
> - *Grant* : unless you have any objections, I'd strongly recommend that
> the leaflets are consistent with the business cards for all the points
> above (font, opening info, Twitter reference)
> - *Julie* : how's it looking with getting Facebook up to date? Is there
> anything you need to make that happen? Do you (or anyone!) know what
> needs to be done to get our Twitter feed active again?
>
> Also :
>
> - *Grant* : do you have any information on what the other participants
> will be doing? Will it mainly be people selling stuff, or will there be
> people offering activities? I think it we useful to know this so we can
> decide what *we're* going to take
> - *Morgan/Paul* : Assuming we're going to take the Ropemaker to the
> Maker Market, I'm going to need to stock up on wool and string ; are you
> OK for me to spend some money on this? I estimate around £20 to get a good
> stock
> - *All* : what else will we take?
> >> email to derby-makers...@googlegroups.com.
> >> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/derby-makers.

Stuart Weaver

Apr 16, 2018, 8:30:03 AM4/16/18
to Derby Makers
Hi All,

Hope all is well and a lot seems to be moving and progressing!

There seems to be comments here about Twitter feeds. If it's a case of not knowing usernames/passwords, Jim passed them to me before he left, and I do still have reference to them. Get in contact if you need them! Might be a good idea to change them as well ;)

Also, I don't know enough, but are you putting a QR code on the business cards? Might be useful if you are not!

Cheers,
Stu

> >> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/derby-makers.

MARK HANCOX

Apr 16, 2018, 2:21:38 PM4/16/18
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Stuart

Great to hear from you! Hope things are going well. Thanks for letting us know about the Twitter stuff; someone will be in touch.

Yes, there will be a QR code on the business cards - it's a no-cost option with Vistaprint. Please keep the suggestions coming, we'd thought of this one but we won't think of everything.

Cheers
Mark