High Altitude Balloon Project - Help needed with Funding bid

Tony Brookes

Jan 8, 2016, 11:46:40 AM1/8/16
to Derby Makers
Dear All

Having put the HAB project forward for an Open Make session every month till the Mini Maker faire, I thought I’d better try and get some funds (thanks Grant for the hint) to pay for the project. Until just now, I thought the deadline for submissions was let Feb. Sorry, I’m wrong!

I’ve just been taking to the Outreach team at the Institute of Physics, about submitting a bid for funding for this project. After a chat, there were a couple of items I need to do to make sure the bid is sensible and meets their criterial.

They are
A) Submit on time - 12 noon on Thursday 14th January 2016 is the closing date
B) How we will evaluate the project at the end to their requirements
C) Ensure outreach to non science types
D) have a realistic estimate for the funds requested.

They offer a grant of up to £2,000 subject to All projects funded must start after 1st March 2016 and be completed by 31st October 2016.

I’m going to ask the Silk Mill for help with B & C - any help from members of Derby Makers will be gratefully received. I’m going to do A & D, though I’d like some help as well.

Tony

Paul Stevens

Jan 8, 2016, 11:49:49 AM1/8/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Tony.  I'll help where I can.  What do you need

All the best
Paul

Tony Brookes

Jan 8, 2016, 11:56:39 AM1/8/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks paul

A first stab at a bill of materials for everything inc the receiver. There is a HAB group, with a website.There is also a shop which sells the helium, balloon and most other things.
Tony

grant gibson

Jan 8, 2016, 2:00:21 PM1/8/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com

Tony I can help out with this to some extent I'll also speak to my work colleague who was half way to doing this himself

Regards

Grant

Simon Carter

Jan 8, 2016, 2:07:47 PM1/8/16
to Derby Makers
Hi Tony  - I'm happy to involve my school in it with regard to programming Pi's to do stuff using Sense Hat and cameras and whatever else.

My fellow Computing Student Teachers are happy to assist as well - so that covers the non-science bit ;)

We could even have an Arduino powered GPS :)

Basically count me in :)

Tony Brookes

Jan 11, 2016, 11:06:54 AM1/11/16
to Derby Makers
AS part of the Bid, I need to know of there any Institute of Physics members here - please tell me if you are one
Thanks
Tony

grant gibson

Jan 12, 2016, 4:37:57 AM1/12/16
to Derby Makers

Tony on a different note take a look at http://www.adamsgas.co.uk for buying the helium. The guy at work said they are much better than BOC when it comes to pricing the tank. He also said that polystyrene fish boxes are a good starting point and those gel based snap hand warmers are perfect for keep the batteries nice and warm.

If we don't want to use one of those polystyrene boxes for strength reasons then we could always use polyfoam (insulation boards) and use a hot wire to cut sections out to mount things in. To be honest this may provide a better solution as it enables us to slot things into a thinner form factor. Take a look at apex insulation in Mansfield... We are probably looking at around 20 to 30 quid for a massive sheet.

On the latex front we should probably approach 4D rubber in Heanor who manufacture latex sheets. They were very helpful in giving me offcuts for my giant airzooka and whilst they don't make latex balloons they probably have a contact on their books who does.

Regards

Grant

Al Johnson

Jan 12, 2016, 6:01:43 PM1/12/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Not just using one of the regular balloon suppliers then?
https://ukhas.org.uk/general:suppliers

Tony Brookes

Jan 13, 2016, 6:00:58 PM1/13/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Due to those wretched unforeseen circumstances (again) it’s looking extremely unlikely I’ll be able to submit a bid in time (i.e.noon tomorrow). If anyone has a fit of inspiration and spare time then I have sent a copy of it to Paul. Happy to discuss the exact circumstances in a less public forum. Keep the ideas coming though!
Tony

Paul Stevens

Jan 13, 2016, 6:39:45 PM1/13/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com

Hmmm,  not seen a copy Tony.  I'll keep checking.

All the best
Paul

Tony Brookes

Jan 14, 2016, 5:25:06 AM1/14/16