Derby Makers Storage

Morgan Barke

Dec 14, 2015, 9:24:59 AM12/14/15
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

As you may know there was a 2nd meeting with the Silk Mill and a following committee meeting, last week. There were a list of positive outcomes and action from those meetings, of which are currently being written up and will posted soon.

Meanwhile, I would like to progress with one of the important and immediate items, storage.

Quick Access Lockable Storage
The grey metal cabinet that we currently use, will have a combination padlock. This will be allocated for quick access of members small projects, possibly tea making stuff and equipment like soldering irons. This cabinet will have to be managed efficiently, with the likely addition of more shelves. I intend to start re-organising it this Wednesday.

Longer Term Storage
The Silk Mill are kindly allocating some storage upstairs, for longer term projects, like the Rope Making Machines, etc. In order for this space to be created, we need to help with some reorganisation of the room. I will post again when this help is required.

Making In Progress Display Cabinet
Originally conceptualised during the Re:Make project, we hoped to make a display cabinet for our active or recently completed projects. A free standing movable unit has been agreed in principle with the Silk Mill. We will need to consult directly with the Silk MIll to understand each others requirements, then design and make it. I will arrange a meeting in the new year, shortly after the quick and longer term storage is be used effectively.

Feel free to post your thoughts on this thread.

Cheers, Morgan

grant gibson

Dec 15, 2015, 4:24:48 PM12/15/15
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Graeme had a simple idea which would work for wood storage and that is just to use velcro or bungee straps - obviously this relies on honesty to some extent but should work in principle. I think the thing for me would be more clarity in general about the materials situation. I have seen some people using wood and yet they never seem to pay for any of it. I think the rules around give and get need to be set out clearly to avoid any confusion.

Regards

Grant

Morgan Barke

Dec 16, 2015, 1:32:43 AM12/16/15
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Good point Grant. Yes, the cabinet is not going to provide material storage, especially for the sheets of wood/acrylic.
Any chance you can take lead on organising the velcro/bungee & labelling solution/system. Also if you could discuss with Steve and Graeme to drill down some initial basic rules, from using free cuts offs, to buying in your own and the bit in between.

Cheers, Morgan

David Evans

Dec 16, 2015, 12:54:26 PM12/16/15
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
On 14 Dec 2015, at 14:24, Morgan Barke <morga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All

Hi Morgan, and everyone else.

I can’t see myself getting there tonight but intend to on Thursday the 17th, unless someone tells me it’s shut or similar!

I’ll go through all the email and record what is necessary to from the previous meetings; I’ll try to keep my noise as terse as possible to avoid unnecessary verbosity. :) In the meantime...

> Meanwhile, I would like to progress with one of the important and immediate items, storage.

This all looks great!

> Quick Access Lockable Storage
> The grey metal cabinet that we currently use, will have a combination padlock. This will be allocated for quick access of members small projects, possibly tea making stuff and equipment like soldering irons. This cabinet will have to be managed efficiently, with the likely addition of more shelves. I intend to start re-organising it this Wednesday.

If DM/the Silk Mill don’t want them, I’ll take away the hexagonal medallions from Museomix, but I won’t be able to until the 17th.

Cheers!

Morgan Barke

Dec 17, 2015, 4:59:19 AM12/17/15
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
I had a good look through the cupboard, reorganising what I could and few thing made it into the bin.

The rope making and paper making equipment will be heading upstairs once I have found a few boxes for them to go into.
@Amanda There is a lot of newspaper. Would you like to run the paper making sessions regularly (subject to Silk Mill programming). If so, I will keep it. If not, then I will recycle it.

There are about 8 PC's on top of the cupboard, that need going through, re-purposing or recycling. So, if anyone is up for that task in the new year, it would be mostly appreciated. If anyone needs a full sized PC for a project, then speak up.

@David The Medallions are in the cut offs section, so take them today if you make it in.

Cheers, Morgan

Amanda McLaren

Dec 17, 2015, 5:13:48 AM12/17/15
to derby-...@googlegroups.com

I'll be in tonight to sort out paper making stuff, happy to run a session again there are also materials available to make solar in hole cameras again. I will type up indtructions for both activities for  website.
Amanda

On 16 December 2015 at 17:54, David Evans <dfe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14 Dec 2015, at 14:24, ...

Al Johnson

Dec 17, 2015, 2:34:40 PM12/17/15
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Strictly speaking most or all of the PCs on top were donated to the Silk Mill
as I understand it. I think they came from one of the companies involved in
Re:Make, but most had the hard drives removed, presumably for corporate data
destruction.

I started finding out what state they were in a bit back when I was looking for
a machine to run PiNet. 2 or 3 of them are pretty decent machines, and the
others at least boot, although some are too old to boot from USB. If anyone's
got a spare hard drive kicking around it would be useful - anything bigger
than 40GB would probably do. I've got permission to take a few of the older,
smaller ones from the spares cupboard at work, but I need to check and
possibly back up, then secure erase them in my own time.

As for what to do with them:
* pinet would be good to have for code club, as well as possibly for other Pi
sessions.
* A machine set up for and attached to the cutter/plotter would be good. Linux
with inkscape and inkcut would do the job.

Morgan Barke

Dec 17, 2015, 4:24:41 PM12/17/15
to derby-...@googlegroups.com, Ge...@derbymuseums.org
Thanks for the update on the PC's Al.

When I spoke to the Silk Mill about the PC's they thought they were ours, not theirs. Your 2 suggested projects directly benefit the Maker Space and Silk Mill workshops, so I suggest we make good of what we have got and recycle the rest.

I assume the Pinet will run headless.

So we need a monitor for the Cutter/Plotter. I have a 14inch LCD that I can donate.

If we can make a 3rd PC, then it might be useful to run the 2nd 3D printer. Otherwise it might be good for when I/we get round to making Maker Space Arcade...