Derby Makers needed for Rope Making @ Derby Mini Maker Faire

Stuart Weaver

Sep 27, 2016, 8:26:04 AM9/27/16
to Derby Makers
I've been (un)fortunate enough to be given the opportunity of being in charge of the rope making this year at the 5th Mini Maker Faire! The application has gone in and been confirmed, so now there is one job left... recruit some helpers!!!

After being part of things last year, I believe that we need at least 3 people per rope making machine (2 to use the machine and one on a break!)

If you feel that you could spend the day helping to make rope (free tuition, entrance to the mini maker faire and pizza involved!) then please comment below saying that you can help! Otherwise, I may start cornering people on Wednesday ;-)

What: Rope Making
When: Sat 22nd October 08:00-16:30
Where: Silk Mill (of course!)

Cheers,
Stu

MARK HANCOX

Sep 27, 2016, 9:00:28 AM9/27/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com

Stu

Well volunteered!

I believe my rope maker is in the silk mill somewhere?  If someone can dig it out, I'll give it a service before the maker faire.

You'll needs lots of wool and lots of strong.  I've got the wool from hobby craft in the past, other more ethical shops are available...

Cheers
Mark

Simon Carter

Sep 28, 2016, 10:18:18 AM9/28/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
I'm happy to help with the rope making all day - and it saves me filling in a volunteer form as well ;)
Cheers
Simon

Stuart Weaver

Sep 29, 2016, 5:17:20 AM9/29/16
to Derby Makers
Mark: found it upstairs with all the wool and string! I tightened up a lot of things last night and cut some missing bits on the laser cutter, so we should all be good to go! Looks like the handle had already been reinforced for this year!

Simon: Many thanks, I'll add you to the list of people involved :D

Cheers,
Stu

On 27 Sep 2016 13:26, "Stuart Weaver" <smwea...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've been (un)fortunate enough to be given the opportunity of being in charge of the rope making this year at the 5th Mini Maker Faire! The application has gone in and been confirmed, so now there is one job left... recruit some helpers!!!

After being part of things last year, I believe that we need at least 3 people per rope making machine (2 to use the machine and one on a break!)

If you feel that you could spend the day helping to make rope (free tuition, entrance to the mini maker faire and pizza involved!) then please comment below saying that you can help! Otherwise, I may start cornering people on Wednesday ;-)

What: Rope Making
When: Sat 22nd October 08:00-16:30
Where: Silk Mill (of course!)

Cheers,
Stu

Stuart Weaver

Oct 17, 2016, 4:46:24 PM10/17/16
to Derby Makers
Good Evening,

I am pulling together the plan for next Saturday, I have a number of DM people signed up and raring to go with ROPE MAKING MACHINES however I would love to also have the support of some MORE DERBY MAKERS. SIMON has signed up so far, if I could get another couple that would be great.

We have been sponsored by DM this year and are also branding it with DM branding given that most of the people are DM MEMBERS. We will also have the DM who are aiming for 1000metres with a rope making machine (I WISH!).

There will be training provided on Saturday so don't worry about whether you have done it before.

And last but not least, this was definitely not copied from Grant's post the other day, and of course, rope making is soooo much better (and thrilling!) than some explosives in shapes of a car!!! ;-P

In any case, any late readers, let me know if you can make it for Saturday!

Cheers,
Stu

Paul Stevens

Oct 17, 2016, 4:48:14 PM10/17/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Aw, go on then.  As long as there is cake I’ll try to help out occasionally ;-}
Cheers
Paul

John Pendleton

Oct 18, 2016, 3:57:20 AM10/18/16
to Derby Makers
Stuart,

Not sure why, but I'm not seeing my posts.

Martin and I should be there all day.
See you for Pizza / set-up on Friday night.

Ta,
John

John Pendleton

Oct 18, 2016, 3:57:20 AM10/18/16
to Derby Makers
Hi Stuart,

Martin and I will be there.
I wondered if it wouldn't be more popular as a "make your own skipping rope" sort-a thing?

Say 1.5 or 2 times a persons height, knots at each end, job done?

Anyway, see for set-up on Friday.

Are we sure that little triple-notched lolly-pop stays at the end?

Cheers,
John

Stuart Weaver

Oct 18, 2016, 4:42:13 AM10/18/16
to Derby Makers
typically came through just after you send the second email! Be patient :-P

And great, glad to know you'll be let out ;)

That brings the total up to 4 and a half (I'm counting Paul as a 1/2 since his helping around most places!)

I might be able to grab one or two other people too so we should all be set!

Cheers,
Stu

Simon Carter

Oct 18, 2016, 6:04:15 AM10/18/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there with at least one of my kids so they can count as another half as well :)

Stuart Weaver

Oct 18, 2016, 5:55:55 PM10/18/16
to Derby Makers
Great! Looks like we won't get too tired from doing all the handle winding then!

One thing that everyone needs to do is to fill in a Derby Museums Volunteer sheet (If need be please redo one so that records are up to date). I do have one on my computer that I should have with me on Wednesday or if you could send me an email at trea...@derbymakers.co.uk then I can pass you the document via direct email :)

Cheers,
Stu

Simon Carter

Oct 19, 2016, 1:55:58 PM10/19/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry Stu and all - I'm having to change my plans and I now cannot make the Maker Faire at all guttingly.
Apologies - hope everyone has a great time.
Simon

Stuart Weaver

Oct 20, 2016, 8:53:45 AM10/20/16
to Derby Makers
Hi Simon,

No worries, thanks for notifying :)

Cheers,
Stu

Stuart Weaver

Oct 24, 2016, 12:37:10 PM10/24/16
to Derby Makers
All,

Thanks for helping out on Saturday and keeping the Derby Makers Rope Making a tradition! Everyone seemed to enjoy it and although we quickly lost track of how many ropes we made, it was pretty much a non-stop flow of rope making from 10.15ish until 16:00! Special thanks to John who seemed to machine through the whole day without even taking a break (we had to tell him to drink his 2 cold tea's)! Many thanks to the Silk Mill as well for providing a brilliant and very busy event! I'm looking forward to next year, although we'll probably need to make a third rope making machine to keep up with demand!