Project - Post-it CNC Machine

Thom Smith

Nov 20, 2014, 7:16:33 PM11/20/14
to derby-...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

This is Thom...  Just a quick hello to say thanks for the welcome at Derby Makers so far!

As a way of making sure I actually do it, I thought I'd share the project I'm going to be working on for a while.  There's nothing like an announced plan to keep me honest (I may regret this).  My background is in production engineering, in automotive and aerospace.  In my first job I found myself looking after two six-axis industrial robots, and I've enjoyed building machines ever since.  At work I've now graduated from machines to spreadsheets, so I'm a bit rusty - I thought a project to get back into machine building would be good fun.  Even better if the result can be used by Derby Makers as a demonstrator on open days, etc.

So...  The "Post-it CNC Machine" is born...

A sketchup sketch is worth a thousand words:

The Post-it CNC Machine is:
A suitcase with a portable CNC machine in it.
Used to sketch G-code designs onto post-it notes using a pen or pencil.
Self-contained and easy to transport.
An on-board Beaglebone Black (like a rasperry pi), running Machinekit and LinuxCNC.
Maybe maybe fully self-contained including a small screen, but to start with it will need a separate laptop to display the screen.

So, anyway.  Yeah.  In a week or so I'll probably be wishing I'd never said anything!  Just keep nagging me, will you...!

Thanks!
Thom

Morgan Barke

Nov 21, 2014, 4:11:45 AM11/21/14
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Thom, thanks for coming down and checking out Derby Makers. It was good to see a few new faces last night.

I can't wait to see your project develop. I will remind you that when telling people what you are going to do, you are less likely to complete it, as this TED talk explains...
http://www.ted.com/talks/derek_sivers_keep_your_goals_to_yourself

So with that in mind we will all make an effort to keep your focused on completion. Would be great to see it working at next years Mini Maker Faire :)

Cheers, Morgan.

Thom Smith

Nov 22, 2014, 12:37:44 PM11/22/14
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Morgan,

Thanks for keeping me honest.  I didn't know what Derek Sivers was talking about was true - I'm just going to have to muddle through this one and keep the next one top secret!

Cheers,
Thom

Alex ofDanish

Apr 30, 2016, 4:21:53 AM4/30/16
to Derby Makers
I had a similar idea this week for a hobby project to make a "desktop perfect post-it" bot and this group came up on a search