Update on our temporary/new home

grant gibson

Mar 2, 2017, 3:11:00 AM3/2/17
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
All,

As you know I have been making various enquiries as to opportunities available to us whilst the Silk Mill is undergoing restoration.

Also I haven't been able to get down for the past couple of weeks and I'm sure not everyone has heard about the story so far so I thought I would email you all and would be happy to get feedback

Rolls-Royce Heritage trust were approached and said that we can have a tour round their workshops on a Tuesday evening and that they could offer meeting space for free but no access to workshops and they thought it would be a struggle from the HSE side. The offer of free meeting space is exempt of workshop HSE.

I have been in contact with connect Derby who are the commercial arm of the council and manage all those weird and wacky buildings around the city like the new ihub and Rolls-Royce marble hall. They have come back to me citing that they do have workshop access for the tenure or agreement we would be seeking. She said she would check but it doesn't sound too promising.

The best option on the table is this... Prof Richard Hall at the institute of innovation and sustainable engineering (where David Evans spent much of his time). Richard has agreed to have a conversation about the possibility of using markeaton Street campus which I believe has all manner of different bits of kit. This offer would I believe from his email be on the basis of us supporting a more structured education focused set of activities. He mentioned that he wanted to offer tailored training programmes. I have pointed out that we are a voluntary group and I know many of you reading this may be struggling to see how we would achieve something like that. Clearly we have to be the support mechanism not the main delivery.

In line with what the guys at the Rolls-Royce Heritage trust said to me it would appear that many more doors will open if we offer a more education tailored experience plus it has the benefits of providing a new line of membership. I think that it will allow us to grow as a group albeit I also think it would drive the group towards being more focused on group projects than individual efforts.

I will feed back what Richard Hall says to me once I have had that conversation. Once I have concluded that I am pretty much out of suitable options from my side.

Regards

Grant

Paul Stevens

Mar 2, 2017, 3:41:12 AM3/2/17
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Grant, well I think that's some significant progress. Many thanks for your efforts.
From my own perspective I would welcome collaborative projects of any sort.  Doing your own thing is good but I suspect more fun and informative doing it with others, if you see what I mean.
I would be happy to support an educational package but it would be way out of my comfort zone, but maybe that's not a bad thing to explore new experiences. Also I think you are right about the source of new members and raising DM profile.
Anyway hope to catch up on a Wednesday soon.
Cheers
Paul

Morgan Barke

Mar 2, 2017, 7:43:26 AM3/2/17
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Grant.
Thanks again for pursuing these.
I agree that the "institute of innovation and sustainable engineering" option would be best. I would (and also plenty of other members from my conversations) be happy to support the development and running of educational courses and collaborative projects. I would anticipate the type of collaborative projects to arise would be more technically challenging and hopefully a great contribution to the maker community, and to compliment Paul's comment of raising our profile.
Cheers, Morgan.

Morgan Barke

Mar 21, 2017, 11:17:18 AM3/21/17
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Through a lead of Daniel > Gemma, I am having a meeting with Jay of Dubrek Studio, a potential new home for us. I will be going there tomorrow @ 5pm before Makers at the Silk Mill. I will be walking from the Silk Mill, if anyone wants to join me. I will discuss with everyone later in the evening when I am back.

Cheers, Morgan

Paul Stevens

Mar 21, 2017, 12:40:17 PM3/21/17
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Morgan,
I’ll come along.  I’ll be at the Silk Mill (pub) at 5 so please pop in and grab me as soon as you are ready to leave.
Cheers
Paul

Morgan Barke

Mar 21, 2017, 4:28:01 PM3/21/17
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Cool. I plan to park up about 4:50pm at the Silk Mill and walk over for 5pm. See you in the Silk Mill...

Stuart Weaver

Mar 22, 2017, 10:28:58 AM3/22/17
to Derby Makers
Unfortunately I can't make it to the meeting, but It'll be interesting to hear about it when you get back, I should probably be there by 19:00.

Cheers,
Stu

Morgan Barke

Mar 23, 2017, 6:20:22 AM3/23/17
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
The potential new space Paul and I visited at Dubrek last night, is definitely a viable option for a new home.
Grant and I (and hopefully Paul) will be meeting with Derby Uni, hopefully next week to see what they have to offer. I won't go into detail of Dubreks pros and cons until we have all the options on the table, but I can confidently now say we are not going to be homeless after the Silk Mill closes.

Watch this space for further updates...

Morgan Barke

Apr 12, 2017, 2:45:32 PM4/12/17
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Grant, Paul & I will be visiting the University on the 27th of April to get a clear understanding of how they can accommodate us and exactly what that may entail. This is earliest date they can offer and until that meeting, we won't know when we could actually move in, if that is what we decide to do.

Stuart is hopefully going to visit the new Radio Communication Museum as a potential lead.

I would like to hold a committee meeting to share our findings from both Dubrek Recording Studios, the Uni and possibly the Radio Museum, the evening of Wednesday 3rd May. We are currently finalising a venue and time for this meeting.

This will be committee meeting, but any member that would like to hear more about our options and contribute to the discussion, you are welcome to join us. By the end of the meeting, assuming we have the information required, the steering committee will make a decision where we will be moving to.

If you are able to make it to the meeting, please make it known here.

Cheers, Morgan.