(Engineering) volunteering on charitable projects?

Duane Walker

Apr 29, 2015, 1:46:05 AM4/29/15
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I would love to get involved with some kind of charitable/not-for-profit/worthwhile projects in my spare time. The kind of things I have in mind could be disaster relief shelters, powered back scratchers for elephants, 3D printed prosthetics for kids - pretty much anything really!

I'm not too sure in what capacity I'd be able to help (especially as it will likely have to be over the internet), but I am a recent graduate in Mechanical Engineering, and currently on the Rolls-Royce graduate scheme, so relatively competent with CAD, designing, researching, concept generation, etc etc.

If I were able to offer up a few hours of my time a week, does anyone know of any projects which I might be able to help out with? Or have any tips on what direction to head in?

Has anyone heard of people doing this kind of thing, or done anything similar?

Many thanks,
Duane.

Duane Walker

Apr 29, 2015, 1:46:05 AM4/29/15
to derby-...@googlegroups.com

Amanda McLaren

Apr 29, 2015, 3:28:59 AM4/29/15
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Duane

I'm sure others have more knowledge/ideas of projects that you could get involved with but the one I know of that comes to mind is remap http://www.remap.org.uk/ as far as I know the Derby panel are pretty active although I've only spoken to people representing the Leicester panel.

However, I don't want to put you getting involved with Derby Makers, we meet on Wednesdays - members only group and Thursdays - open make night  both days 6pm -9pm.

All the best

Amanda

Amanda McLaren

T: 0777 28 48 892