Maven multi project build and check goal

Tamás Cservenák

Nov 22, 2017, 6:58:17 AM11/22/17
to dependen...@googlegroups.com
Howdy,

re org.owasp:dependency-check-maven:3.0.2:check Maven plugin invocation...

My project has layout like this:
- parent
  - module A
  - ...
  - assemblies
    - distro/assembly pulling in module A among other deps

The above invocation reports in module
- A: "all fine" (no vulns)
- distro: that module A is vulnerable

Remarks:
- A is obviously false identified (see below)
- due to false identifications, A reported as vulnerable

Proposal:
IMHO, the distro dependency A, that is in-reactor module, should be left out from analysis.

I have not created a reproducer, but I think one can craft easily one (as I see, it depends very much on module A, B and C names / artifactId. Using name like "elasticsearch" for A, with project version 1.0 should do it -> causes to identify A module in distro as "elasticsearch-1.0" and it IS vulnerable).

Here is an example (anonymized, not open project yet) output from my project:
elasticsearch-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar (cpe:/a:id:id-software:1.0.0, cpe:/a:elasticsearch:elasticsearch:1.0.0, XXXXX:elasticsearch:1.0.0-SNAPSHOT) : CVE-2014-3120, CVE-2015-1427, CVE-2015-5531, CVE-2014-6439, CVE-2015-3337

As I see, due to module name (artifactId) it matches it with CPEs, and then finds problems. But IMHO, the module (in-reactor) should not be matched at all, as it is just being built, as part of reactor.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks,
Tamas
--
Thanks,
~t~

Jeremy Long

Nov 22, 2017, 7:05:52 AM11/22/17
to Tamás Cservenák, dependen...@googlegroups.com
I disagree that modules in the reactor should be left out. I know of many cases where a team may have taken the source of a FOSS library and just included it in their build. Most of the time this is due to a minor change in the FOSS code or sometimes they just prefer to bring their own binaries.

It is easy enough to create a suppression file for this - to mark you internal library/dependency as a FP that needs to be suppressed.

--Jeremy

--
Thanks,
~t~