Matching mechanism

Raoul Gheletus

Oct 8, 2015, 1:45:04 PM10/8/15
to dependen...@googlegroups.com

Hello guys,

I am using the tool from the CLI and my concern is that it provides a lot of false positives.

For example, my application uses mina-filter-ssl-1.1.7.jar and the tool identifies a vulnerability (CVE-2004-0009) that refers to Apache-SSL.

Could you please help me in making the match with the NVD more “strict” (somehow to put a certain library in the report only if the names are very similar)?

Thank you,

Raoul

Jeremy Long

Oct 9, 2015, 6:55:00 AM10/9/15
to Raoul Gheletus, dependen...@googlegroups.com
Raoul,

Unfortunately, if the matching is restricted too much then you end up with false negatives (i.e. vulnerable libraries that are not reported). I would suggest reading: How dependency-check worksHow to Read the Report, and Suppressing False Positives.

The short answer is the tool does fuzzy matching based on textual information obtained from the scanned file. Therre is a fairly simple onboarding process to build a suppression file that can be used during future scans. This is generally a one time setup cost. In addition to creating a local suppression file the team would appreciate it if you posted false positives to the issue list on github.

Alternatively, there are commercial tools in this space - SRC:CLR, Sonatype, BlackDuck, Synopsys AppCheck (formerly Codenomicon's AppCheck), etc.

Best Regards,

Jeremy