Error related to Dependency Check

Kalyan K

Dec 17, 2015, 2:48:48 PM12/17/15
to Dependency Check
Hello Team,

I"m currently using Jenkins v 1.638 and recently upgraded OWASP plugin to 1.3.3 from 1.3.0. I started noticing below error since 12/16 and not sure if something's changed.

SEVERE: Unable to retrieve database properties: org.owasp.dependencycheck.data.nvdcve.DatabaseException: Database schema does not match this version of dependency-check

Prior to plugin update, I was getting this error message "Unable to connect to the dependency-check database; job has stopped"

Please suggest.

THanks,
Kalyan

Jeremy Long

Dec 25, 2015, 7:12:24 AM12/25/15
to Dependency Check
Kalyan,

Any chance you could give us more information about your configuration? Have you changed the database connection string or are you using a fairly generic installation?

--Jeremy

Steve Springett

Dec 29, 2015, 2:14:51 AM12/29/15
to Dependency Check
Kalyan,

If you have not specified a data directory for the job, then the dependency-check data directory will reside in your projects workspace. You may want to wipe out your workspace so the data directory can be recreated.

if you've specified a data directory, then you may want to delete the contents and ensure that only a single version of dependency-check is writing to the directory.

--Steve

Kalyan K

Mar 28, 2016, 8:49:23 AM3/28/16
to Dependency Check
Hello Steve,

I did not provide any data directory to ensure that entire workspace is scanned and wiped out the project workspace prior to the build. However, when i trigger a new build, I could see that only 1 dependency being scanned. Not sure if there's a configuration mismatch. Please find below the snippet of console output:

08:38:30 [DependencyCheck]  -updateOnly = false
08:38:31 [DependencyCheck] Scanning: /home/jenkins/workspace/test_owasp
08:38:31 [DependencyCheck] Analyzing Dependencies
08:40:42 [DependencyCheck] Collecting Dependency-Check analysis files...
08:40:42 [DependencyCheck] Finding all files that match the pattern dependency-check-report.xml
08:40:42 [DependencyCheck] Parsing 1 file in /home/jenkins/workspace/test_owasp
08:40:42 [DependencyCheck] Successfully parsed file /home/jenkins/workspace/test_owasp/dependency-check-report.xml with 0 unique warnings and 0 duplicates.
08:40:42 [DependencyCheck] Computing warning deltas based on reference build #8
08:40:42 [PostBuildScript] - Execution post build scripts.

In the dependency check report, I could only see "gradle-wrapper" being scanned as shown below:

  • Report Generated On: Mar 25, 2016 at 22:37:04 EDT
  • Dependencies Scanned: 1
  • Vulnerable Dependencies: 0
Display: Showing Vulnerable Dependencies (click to show all)

DependencyCPEGAVHighest SeverityCVE CountCPE ConfidenceEvidence Count
gradle-wrapper.jar 05

Dependencies

gradle-wrapper.jar

File Path: /home/jenkins/workspace/test_owasp/gradle/wrapper/gradle-wrapper.jar

Evidence

SourceNameValue
filenamegradle-wrapper
jarpackage namecli
jarpackage namegradle
ManifestImplementation-TitleGradle
ManifestImplementation-Version2.4

Identifiers

  • None
Please suggest.

Thanks,
Kalyan

Steve Springett

Mar 28, 2016, 10:22:33 AM3/28/16
to Dependency Check
Ok, so if I understand correctly, you do not have a centralized data directory, rather, you utilize a data directory per workspace. If that’s the case re-enable auto update, and run a job. How big is the data directory?

Also, go to Manage Jenkins -> System Log and create a new logger named 'Dependency-Check'. For the logger, enter ‘org.owasp’ and set the level to ALL. Inspect and forward the logs to help us track down the issue.

—Steve

Kalyan K

Mar 28, 2016, 11:05:03 AM3/28/16
to Steve Springett, Dependency Check
Thanks Steve. I re-enabled auto-update and triggered the job. I could see that dependency-check data dir is 252 MB as attached. Also attached the dependency check log I obtained by filtering Jenkins System log.

Capture.JPG

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Dependency Check" group.
OWASP_Jenkins_log.txt

Bernd Eckenfels

Mar 28, 2016, 1:51:41 PM3/28/16
to Kalyan K, Steve Springett, Dependency Check
Hello,

I am not familiar with Gradle and the DC integration into it, but to me
it sounds like you scan a clean workspace (where only the grade
bootstrap is contained). So maybe it helps to run the check after a
build and with no clean (or there is a Grade integration you did not
use).

Gruss
Bernd

Am Mon, 28 Mar 2016 15:04:16 +0000
schrieb Kalyan K <kaly...@gmail.com>:
> > *08:38:30* [DependencyCheck] -updateOnly = false*08:38:31*
> > [DependencyCheck]
> > Scanning: /home/jenkins/workspace/test_owasp*08:38:31*
> > [DependencyCheck] Analyzing Dependencies
> >
> > *08:40:42* [DependencyCheck] Collecting Dependency-Check analysis
> > files...*08:40:42* [DependencyCheck] Finding all files that match
> > the pattern dependency-check-report.xml*08:40:42* [DependencyCheck]
> > Parsing 1 file in /home/jenkins/workspace/test_owasp*08:40:42*
> > [DependencyCheck] Successfully parsed
> > file /home/jenkins/workspace/test_owasp/dependency-check-report.xml
> > with 0 unique warnings and 0 duplicates.*08:40:42*
> > [DependencyCheck] Computing warning deltas based on reference build
> > #8*08:40:42* [PostBuildScript] - Execution post build scripts.
> >

> > In the dependency check report, I could only see "gradle-wrapper"
> > being scanned as shown below:
> >

> > - *Report Generated On*: Mar 25, 2016 at 22:37:04 EDT
> > - *Dependencies Scanned*: 1
> > - *Vulnerable Dependencies*: 0
> >
> > Display: Showing Vulnerable Dependencies (click to show all)
> >
> > Dependency CPE GAV Highest Severity CVE Count CPE Confidence
> > Evidence Count
> > gradle-wrapper.jar 0 5 Dependencies gradle-wrapper.jar
> >
> > *File Path:* /home/jenkins/workspace/test_owasp
> > /gradle/wrapper/gradle-wrapper.jar
> >
> > Evidence
> > Source Name Value
> > file name gradle-wrapper
> > jar package name cli
> > jar package name gradle
> > Manifest Implementation-Title Gradle
> > Manifest Implementation-Version 2.4
> > Identifiers
> >
> > - *None*

Kalyan K

Mar 28, 2016, 2:11:14 PM3/28/16
to Bernd Eckenfels, Steve Springett, Dependency Check
Hello Bernd,

We used to have OWASP dependency as a part of Jenkins build step apart from gradle build step. However, we segregated OWASP validation from the pipeline. However, it does exist as a standalone job, and doesn't perform any gradle tasks apart from cloning the repo and scanning the code base.

Thanks,
Kalyan