Clarification - "Publish OWASP Dependency-Check results" plugin working

Piyush Mittal

Mar 14, 2018, 1:11:53 AM3/14/18
to Dependency Check
I am unable to find documentation explaining how "Publish OWASP Dependency-Check results" Jenkins plugin figure out new & fixed vulnerabilities. If someone can point me to the documentation or explain it's working, that would be great.

As an example, let us assume app has 10 low vulnerabilities, I fixed two of them and introduce two new by adding new vulnerable JAR so that overall count remains same as 10. What will be the plugin output in this case?

Steve Springett

Mar 14, 2018, 7:09:55 PM3/14/18
to Dependency Check
I believe the expected behavior of this scenario would be 2 ‘fixed’ issues and 2 ‘new’ issues.

This logic is handled by the analysis-core plugin that the Dependency-Check plugin builds on top of. In the publisher step, the Dependency-Check plugin tells analysis-core what the current issues are, and analysis-core handles everything else.

So in this scenario, if you set a threshold on 1 or more new issues it could put the build in a warning or failed state, even though the total number of issues remain the same.

— Steve