How to read logs

Vít Šesták

Jul 15, 2015, 4:31:43 AM7/15/15
to dependen...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I have realized that the ODC is very fault tolerant. Which might hide some errors and produce false negatives. I'd like to export some important warnings from the ODC. Reading the whole log, however, does not look like a good fun, as it is very very verbose. Is there a simple way (i.e. better than grepping "SEVERE", "WARNING" etc. in the output) to extract it?
Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'

Jeremy Long

Jul 15, 2015, 8:12:48 AM7/15/15
to Vít Šesták, dependen...@googlegroups.com
Vit,

Yes, the logs are very verbose. They have helped solve several issues earlier. When I review them I am usually looking for a specific analyzer's output. Each analyzer will write out an initialization entry and then until you see the next initialization entry the entries are related to how the analyzer is working. In your case, I have a feeling it is the CPEAnalyzer.

--Jeremy

Vít Šesták

Jul 15, 2015, 2:44:49 PM7/15/15
to dependen...@googlegroups.com, groups-no-private-mail--con...@v6ak.com
Hello,
I am trying to solve something different. I've, for example, realized that missing Internet connection causes ODC to continue, but with some less information. It does not fail, but it potentially misses something. This may silently cause some false negatives, maybe just when external environment (e.g. firewall rules) is changed.

First approach would be making ODC behaving fail-fast, so I would know immediately if something fails. (But I am not sure if this is practical. I've seen some hash mismatches and I am not sure if I can solve all of them easily.)

Second approach would be reading the log filtering important messages. If there is something in the filtered log, I know something is wrong and I should fix that. Maybe logging all messages with some severity would do the job.

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'