Policy regarding cloud providers

Adrian Cole

Mar 9, 2015, 11:52:41 AM3/9/15
to denomin...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to clarify a policy we should enforce moving forward.

We will not accept cloud provider code unless someone who isn't an
author is given credentials and a test endpoint. If a cloud provider
isn't live tested in 3 months in an active denominator release, it
will be deleted.

This typically occurs with private or enterprise cloud providers. As
adding a cloud provider adds at least a thousand lines of code, we
simply cannot just "trust" it will work forever. History shows the
opposite the case. The only thing more draining than having to adjust
for api drift is being unable to even get an endpoint to verify if
drift even exists.

I hope we never have to enforce this policy, but I hope it makes sense. Does it?
-A

Adrian Cole

Mar 9, 2015, 12:09:52 PM3/9/15
to denomin...@googlegroups.com
Here's a stab at documentation.

Denominator aims to allow common functionality across DNS providers.
New cloud providers are encouraged, provided they are supportable.

Prerequisites

Before starting work on a cloud provider, make sure it has a user who
isn't the vendor. All code needs to have clear purpose, and
non-authors with "skin in the game".

Moreover, we will not accept cloud provider code unless someone who
isn't an author is given credentials and a test endpoint. If a cloud
provider isn't live tested in 3 months in an active denominator
release, it will be deleted. The best way to facilitate enduring
support is to engage an official DNS provider support channel with
your efforts towards denominator support.

https://github.com/Netflix/denominator/wiki/Adding-new-Providers