[ANN] Denominator v3: the 1MB edition

Adrian Cole

Jul 10, 2013, 6:27:53 PM7/10/13
to denomin...@googlegroups.com, denomina...@googlegroups.com
Out today, Denominator v3 isn't notable for its new features.  In fact, it has no new features.  What is notable is that denominator has almost no dependencies.  This means our android demo now takes a little over 1MB on your device (as opposed to 3MB earlier).

Why is this important to Netflix?  Well, denominator isn't used in our android movie players, so that isn't so important.  Also, the size of denominator libraries isn't important either: typically it is deployed as a library among many others.

Guava independence is important, though.  Denominator can no longer conflict with other applications who use guava (lots of our apps use guava).  Also, those serializing denominator into yaml or json no longer need special case to represent our guavish types.  Decoupling denominator from guava makes it simpler to include in platform code.

We'll continue a minimalist approach with the new cli (~1.2MB) and Observer support coming soon.  In the mean time, please enjoy the slimmer, trimmer denominator!

@denominatorOSS