SumTrees common ancestor node ages

Nitish Narula

Sep 10, 2015, 1:51:13 PM9/10/15
to DendroPy Users
Hi everyone,

I am using sumtrees to summarize posterior sets from a few BEAST runs. In treeannotator application, which comes with BEAST, there is an option to set common ancestors (ca) heights. Is there is something similar in sumtrees? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks,
Nitish

Jeet Sukumaran

Sep 10, 2015, 7:05:02 PM9/10/15
to dendrop...@googlegroups.com
Do you mean to set the ages of the nodes to the mean of their ages in
the MCMC sample?

If so, the ``-e`` or ``--set-edges`` option will do this if you specify:

-e mean-age
--set-edges mean-age

If you also add:

--summarize-node-ages

you will get other information (range, min/max, 95% HPD) is the metadata.

-- jeet
> --

--------------------------------------
Jeet Sukumaran
--------------------------------------
jeetsu...@gmail.com
--------------------------------------
Blog/Personal Pages:
http://jeetworks.org/
GitHub Repositories:
http://github.com/jeetsukumaran
Photographs (as stream):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeetsukumaran/
Photographs (by galleries):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeetsukumaran/sets/
--------------------------------------

Nitish Narula

Sep 10, 2015, 7:34:44 PM9/10/15
to DendroPy Users
Hi Jeet,

I am not sure if I'm looking for the mean-age option in the edge lengths argument.

In treeannotator there is an option for heights argument called 'ca' (common ancestors heights) which, from what I understand, avoids negative length edges without collapsing to polytomies. There isn't clear documentation on it, so the best I can give you is this and this (btw, your documentation is markedly better!). The other options in treeannotator - median and mean heights - have the possibility of negative edges.

In sumtrees, there are mean-age and median-age options (among others), which I thought would be similar to the mean and median heights options in treeannotator. But there isn't something similar to the ca heights option, at least not explicitly. Is the mean-age option similar to the ca heights option? I have used "--collapse-negative-edges" but that returns polytomies and I am trying to avoid that.

Let me know if I'm off on my understanding of these height/age/edge length options.

Thanks,
Nitish

On 9/10/15 1:51 PM, Nitish Narula wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am using sumtrees to summarize posterior sets from a few BEAST runs.
> In treeannotator application, which comes with BEAST, there is an option
> to set common ancestors (ca) heights. Is there is something similar in
> sumtrees? I can't seem to find it.
>
> Thanks,
> Nitish

Jeet Sukumaran

Sep 11, 2015, 7:53:01 AM9/11/15
to dendrop...@googlegroups.com
Ahh, OK.

Well, I am afraid SumTrees does not do this at this time.

However, it should be easy to add. If you submit an issue request on the
GitHub site, we will try and work on it.

-- jeet