Someting new every day Error talking to SMTP server [421 Fork failed] :-(

Theo

Oct 13, 2008, 11:08:05 AM10/13/08
Helpdest emailed me yesterday morning to say that the FTP
login issue has been fixed... :-))

But it looks as if some similar contagion has spread to the
SMTP servers...

[Eudora light 3.0.2]
13/10/08 15:20 BST

Progress: Connecting to the Mail Server

Eudora: Error talking to SMTP server [421 Fork failed]

(perhaps more informative than the more common experience
of the "Connecting" activity simply hanging forever...
... and at least it's tidier than having to restart Eudora
... but I'm not much the wiser about what's going on ... is anyone?)

Eventual success after several further attempts
- what a slog to send 2 msgs - not for the first time.

Edit the address in the sig to reply by email if you so wish.
--
Theo Brueton
tb021222 (at) anoeth (dot) demon (dot) co (dot) uk

Molly Mockford

Oct 13, 2008, 2:53:34 PM10/13/08
At 15:08:05 on Mon, 13 Oct 2008, Theo <s...@sig.for.addr> wrote in
<48f36361...@news.demon.co.uk>:

>Helpdest emailed me yesterday morning to say that the FTP
>login issue has been fixed... :-))

No it hasn't.

Yet again today, when updating the web site of the only one of my
clients who has Demon (commercial) hosting, I had to try over and over
again to get past "Login incorrect" and finally upload the changed
pages. Exactly the same behaviour as has been the case for weeks; it
was this sort of thing which brought me back to this newsgroup (which
proved not to be in any way a hardship!)
--
Molly Mockford
deserve neither liberty nor safety - Benjamin Franklin

Ian Dalgleish

Oct 14, 2008, 3:18:40 AM10/14/08
In article <48f36361...@news.demon.co.uk>, Theo <s...@sig.for.addr>
wrote:

> Helpdest emailed me yesterday morning to say that the FTP
> login issue has been fixed... :-))

Still bad at my end.
Sometimes I get in then, moments later, I don't.
This is still happening with both my homepages and commercial pages.
Other servers (BT, Freedom and Streamline) are perfectly fine.

Ian.

Chris Marriott

Oct 14, 2008, 4:04:40 AM10/14/08

"Theo" <s...@sig.for.addr> wrote in message

> Helpdest emailed me yesterday morning to say that the FTP
> login issue has been fixed... :-))
>
> But it looks as if some similar contagion has spread to the
> SMTP servers...
>
> [Eudora light 3.0.2]
> 13/10/08 15:20 BST
>
> Progress: Connecting to the Mail Server
>
> Eudora: Error talking to SMTP server [421 Fork failed]

I think error 421 is the "too many concurrent connections" error, isn't it?
Normally goes away if you just wait a minute and retry.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris Marriott

Oct 14, 2008, 7:49:05 AM10/14/08

"Ian Dalgleish" <i...@methyl.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

Likewise, FTP login definitely _not_ OK here for my commercial web.
Sometimes I get in first attempt, other times it takes a dozen.

Regards,

Chris

Big Les Wade

Oct 14, 2008, 12:05:47 PM10/14/08
Chris Marriott <ch...@nowhere.com> posted

>I think error 421 is the "too many concurrent connections" error, isn't it?
>Normally goes away if you just wait a minute and retry.

It's seriously bad at the moment. Can't send a thing Waldo.

--
Les

Theo

Oct 14, 2008, 8:23:08 PM10/14/08
ysgrifennodd "Chris Marriott" <ch...@nowhere.com> :

Thanks for that, I hadn't noticed that it's exactly the same
code as the more usual flavour which appears with
the somewhat enigmatic truncated message

[...]
Eudora: Error talking to SMTP server [421 Too many concurrent connections;
please t]

(? please t] = please take a tea-break] ??)

Had plenty of those in the last week; I've tended to assume that's
just the server being indigested by an excessive number of concurrent
would-be users(*). Goodness knows how many users(*) the server is
configured for, or whether anyone keeps a regular eye on loading and
performance
[(*)or possibly, concurrent connections/connection attempts - see below]

hmm ... ...

But [421 Fork Failed] seems to be a new phenomenon, AFAIR.

Sudden thought:
Eudora 3.0.2 runs determinedly single-threaded; I've noticed that the
much later versions (6.x or 7.x? - not to hand just now) on XP will
attempt to open multiple connections roughly corresponding to one
connection for every 3 messages queued for transmission. Generally
(on dial-up) all but the first fall over with an error, in fairly
rapid succession; there's no obvious way of controlling this behavior
save queuing only 3 messages at a time - and it's anyhow a pretty
dumb strategy on a dialup connection :-/

I've thought that this is potentially antisocial software behaviour;
and it strikes me that if a significant number of users have late
versions of Eudora - or any SMTP software that behaves similarly - this
can give rise to very peaky loading on that part of the server software
which sets up connections (and on error handling, too) - consider the
case of M concurrent users each with around 3N messages queued for
sending, where MxN is large... wrt (SMTP connection setup concurrency)

Just a thought.

mlh

Oct 15, 2008, 5:39:02 AM10/15/08
Good not just me then, for the past few days sending mail takes 2 or 3
goes, saying too many connections..... I assume the mail server fairy is
adding some new gear or fixing some broken "stuff"

mlh

Big Les Wade

Oct 15, 2008, 6:21:05 AM10/15/08
mlh <m...@null.com> posted

>Good not just me then, for the past few days sending mail takes 2 or 3
>goes, saying too many connections..... I assume the mail server fairy
>is adding some new gear or fixing some broken "stuff"

I doubt it. It's been doing this on and off for well over a year, though
rarely quite as bad as it is at the moment.

--
Les

Theo

Oct 16, 2008, 6:22:43 AM10/16/08
ysgrifennodd s...@sig.for.addr (Theo) :

>ysgrifennodd "Chris Marriott" <ch...@nowhere.com> :
>>"Theo" <s...@sig.for.addr> wrote in message
>>> Helpdest emailed me yesterday morning to say that the FTP

[big snip]

There are 9 messages in this thread visible via google groups.
Only 6 visible here (via Demon). (plus one with a changed subject line, "no
longer available"). Odd. Or is it my software?

Tim Willets

Oct 16, 2008, 5:37:42 PM10/16/08
In message <48f7144...@news.demon.co.uk>, Theo <s...@sig.for.addr>
writes

>ysgrifennodd s...@sig.for.addr (Theo) :
>
>>ysgrifennodd "Chris Marriott" <ch...@nowhere.com> :
>>>"Theo" <s...@sig.for.addr> wrote in message
>[big snip]
>
>There are 9 messages in this thread visible via google groups.
>Only 6 visible here (via Demon). (plus one with a changed subject line, "no
>longer available"). Odd. Or is it my software?

It's not your software, it's Demon. I just downloaded demon.service from
news.demon.co.uk, then switched server to Giganews and collected another
31 demon.service articles not visible via Demon. And some non-demon.*
groups show even greater disparities.

Tim Willets