Grupuri Google nu mai acceptă postările sau abonamentele noi Usenet. Conținutul anterior este în continuare vizibil.

Virgin ads

O afișare
Accesați primul mesaj necitit

Murff

necitită,
1 dec. 1997, 03:00:0001.12.1997

We went to Liverpool on Friday, for my mother's retirement do. By train.
OK, so they got us there, and back. But both were later arriving than
they were leaving.

Maybe they could include this in their next advertising campaigns ?

"Virgins are always late"

or

"Anything this fucked can't be a Virgin"

--
Murff... http://www.warlock.org

KKKKatie

necitită,
2 dec. 1997, 03:00:0002.12.1997

In article <65v4sk$5...@wizard.warlock.org> mu...@warlock.org "Murff" writes:

> We went to Liverpool on Friday, for my mother's retirement do. By train.
> OK, so they got us there, and back. But both were later arriving than
> they were leaving.
>
> Maybe they could include this in their next advertising campaigns ?
>
> "Virgins are always late"
>
> or
>
> "Anything this fucked can't be a Virgin"

I've heard "You can tell these are Virgin trains, they won't go
all the way."
--
Kate
Does anyone know how to access a password protected Amipro file?

Neil Barker

writes:

> We went to Liverpool on Friday, for my mother's retirement do. By
> train.
> OK, so they got us there, and back. But both were later arriving than
> they were leaving.

Ahhhh, you want a nice gas-guzzling, noxious fume emitting car, you
do....

:-)

> Maybe they could include this in their next advertising campaigns ?
>
> "Virgins are always late"
>
> or
>
> "Anything this fucked can't be a Virgin"

That'd be fun, photographing Richard Branson as he went into court....

:-)

--
Neil Barker.

Gary Jones

writes:

> We went to Liverpool on Friday, for my mother's retirement do. By train.
> OK, so they got us there, and back. But both were later arriving than
> they were leaving.

That is usually the way, unless they've invented faster than light travel.

--
Gary WebPage: http://www.manassa.demon.co.uk
Email replies to this posting should substitute 'newsreply@'

Mike Fleming

necitită,
3 dec. 1997, 03:00:0003.12.1997

writes:

> We went to Liverpool on Friday, for my mother's retirement do. By train.
> OK, so they got us there, and back. But both were later arriving than
> they were leaving.

Without time travel, this is the general tendency.

--
Sig the slug

John Hall

necitită,
3 dec. 1997, 03:00:0003.12.1997

Murff <mu...@warlock.org> writes:
>We went to Liverpool on Friday, for my mother's retirement do. By train.
>OK, so they got us there, and back. But both were later arriving than
>they were leaving.

To get there before you leave is still beyond current railway
technology, I think.
--
John Hall
"But I am a great eater of beef, and I believe

Murff

necitită,
4 dec. 1997, 03:00:0004.12.1997

In article <jgnMDBBV...@jhall.demon.co.uk>,

John Hall <ne...@jhall.demon.co.uk> writes:
> In article <65v4sk$5...@wizard.warlock.org>,
> Murff <mu...@warlock.org> writes:
>>We went to Liverpool on Friday, for my mother's retirement do. By train.
>>OK, so they got us there, and back. But both were later arriving than
>>they were leaving.
>
> To get there before you leave is still beyond current railway
> technology, I think.

John, I'm disappointed that you of all people would stoop to such depths.

<lart>
Trains left 10 and 5 minutes late, respectively. They were 15 and 20 minutes
late on arrival. Both left late. Both arrived late. In both cases the
lateness of the arrival was greater than the lateness of the departure.

So, both were later arriving than they were leaving. Time travel would
require that both arrived earlier than they left. Later is a comparative
meaning "more late". Time is, in this case, defined by the railway
timetables. To that extent, while it would be "later on" that a train
leaving London arrived at, say, Lime Street - if the times of both
departure and arrival are those stipulated by the timescale of the
railway schedules, the arrival is not described as "late" since it happened
when it was supposed to happen.

Now, if we consider two trains, each of which arrives at its destination
10 minutes after it was supposed to, we can compare the actual time of
the event to the schedule. In this case we find that both events are
equally late. The same can be done with two trains, each leaving 10
minutes after they should have done. So arrival and departure are both
events, which share the property that the difference between their actual
and scheduled time (dt) can be measured in directly comparable terms. We can
say that one event was "later" than another, in that A.dt > B.dt and hence
if A1.dt > B1.dt && A2.dt > B2.dt then both the B events happened later
than the A events.
</lart>

--
Murff... http://www.warlock.org

Mesajul a fost șters

Wijnand Thompson

necitită,
5 dec. 1997, 03:00:0005.12.1997

In article <667ane$4...@wizard.warlock.org> mu...@warlock.org (Murff)
wrote:

> In article <jgnMDBBV...@jhall.demon.co.uk>,
> John Hall <ne...@jhall.demon.co.uk> writes:
> > In article <65v4sk$5...@wizard.warlock.org>,
> > Murff <mu...@warlock.org> writes:
> >>We went to Liverpool on Friday, for my mother's retirement do. By train.
> >>OK, so they got us there, and back. But both were later arriving than
> >>they were leaving.
> >
> > To get there before you leave is still beyond current railway
> > technology, I think.
>
> John, I'm disappointed that you of all people would stoop to such depths.

This makes me pleased that I didn't point out the grammatical
error - not that I'd sink to such low pedantry; oh no, not me!

--
Wijnand

Murff <mu...@warlock.org> writes:
>In article <jgnMDBBV...@jhall.demon.co.uk>,
> John Hall <ne...@jhall.demon.co.uk> writes:
>> In article <65v4sk$5...@wizard.warlock.org>,
>> Murff <mu...@warlock.org> writes:
>>>We went to Liverpool on Friday, for my mother's retirement do. By train.
>>>OK, so they got us there, and back. But both were later arriving than
>>>they were leaving.
>>
>> To get there before you leave is still beyond current railway
>> technology, I think.
>
>John, I'm disappointed that you of all people would stoop to such depths.

All part of my (doomed) campaign to eliminate ambiguous use of English.

><lart>
>Trains left 10 and 5 minutes late, respectively. They were 15 and 20 minutes
>late on arrival. Both left late. Both arrived late. In both cases the
>lateness of the arrival was greater than the lateness of the departure.

I'm not surprised. Hall's Law says "A late train gets later". A reason
for this may be that a late train misses its slot in the timetable, and
gets held up by a slower train ahead of it that would normally be behind
it.

>So, both were later arriving than they were leaving. Time travel would
>require that both arrived earlier than they left. Later is a comparative
>meaning "more late".

But "later" is more commonly used as a synonym for "after". Of course, I
knew perfectly well what you meant, but it would hardly have been in the
tradition of dl had I let it pass.
--
John Hall

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing."
Wernher von Braun

writes:

> So, both were later arriving than they were leaving. Time travel would
> require that both arrived earlier than they left. Later is a
> comparative meaning "more late".

(SNIP)

"Ladies and Gentlemen (and Sol), the 1997 d.l. award for plain English,
goes to...............................Murff."

#Cheer#

#Applause#

--
Neil Barker.

leo

necitită,
5 dec. 1997, 03:00:0005.12.1997

In article <348852a3...@news.demon.co.uk>
dro...@walhall.demon.co.uk "Wijnand Thompson" writes:

> > John, I'm disappointed that you of all people would stoop to such depths.
>

> This makes me pleased that I didn't point out the grammatical
> error - not that I'd sink to such low pedantry; oh no, not me!

To which level of pedantry would you actively descend, then?

--
leo

pete

necitită,
6 dec. 1997, 03:00:0006.12.1997

In article <667ane$4...@wizard.warlock.org>, Murff <mu...@warlock.org>
writes

>Now, if we consider two trains

You tell the bloody (incorrect) pedants, Murff...
--
Pete

pete

necitită,
6 dec. 1997, 03:00:0006.12.1997

In article <348852a3...@news.demon.co.uk>, Wijnand Thompson
<dro...@walhall.demon.co.uk> writes

>This makes me pleased that I didn't point out the grammatical
>error

Where was the error?
--
Pete

Terrance Richard Boyes

necitită,
6 dec. 1997, 03:00:0006.12.1997

John Hall (ne...@jhall.demon.co.uk) wrote:

> All part of my (doomed) campaign to eliminate ambiguous use of English.

:)

Didn't happen to see HIGNFY last night did you...

--
<URL:http://www.pierrot.co.uk/> Team AMIGA
The PILLSBURY DOUGHBOY is CRYING for an END to BURT REYNOLDS movies!!

John Hall

necitită,
6 dec. 1997, 03:00:0006.12.1997

In article <9712061...@pierrot.co.uk>,

Terrance Richard Boyes <t...@pierrot.co.uk> writes:
>John Hall (ne...@jhall.demon.co.uk) wrote:
>>
>> All part of my (doomed) campaign to eliminate ambiguous use of English.
>
>:)
>
>Didn't happen to see HIGNFY last night did you...

No. What happened?
--
John Hall
"If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end in doubts;

Donald R. Oddy

necitită,
6 dec. 1997, 03:00:0006.12.1997

In article <830773...@manassa.demon.co.uk>
GJo...@manassa.demon.co.uk "Gary Jones" writes:

>In article: <667ane$4...@wizard.warlock.org> mu...@warlock.org (Murff)
>writes:
>

>[Trains]

>> So, both were later arriving than they were leaving. Time travel would
>> require that both arrived earlier than they left. Later is a comparative

>> meaning "more late". Time is, in this case, defined by the railway
>> timetables.
>

>Well, that last sentence is where you are going wrong then.

Is this how the government plans to solve the millenium problem?
by defining time using railway timetables?

--
Donald
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/

Terrance Richard Boyes

necitită,
8 dec. 1997, 03:00:0008.12.1997

John Hall (ne...@jhall.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> In article <9712061...@pierrot.co.uk>,
> Terrance Richard Boyes <t...@pierrot.co.uk> writes:
> >John Hall (ne...@jhall.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> >>
> >> All part of my (doomed) campaign to eliminate ambiguous use of English.
> >
> >:)
> >
> >Didn't happen to see HIGNFY last night did you...
> >
> No. What happened?

Ah, they had some arts luvvie or other on. He picked up on Ian Hislop's
use of less/fewer.

--
<URL:http://www.pierrot.co.uk/> Team AMIGA

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Wijnand Thompson

necitită,
8 dec. 1997, 03:00:0008.12.1997

In article <881362...@lgab.demon.co.uk> l...@lgab.demon.co.uk (leo)
wrote:

> In article <348852a3...@news.demon.co.uk>
> dro...@walhall.demon.co.uk "Wijnand Thompson" writes:
>
> > > John, I'm disappointed that you of all people would stoop to such depths.
> >

> > This makes me pleased that I didn't point out the grammatical

> > error - not that I'd sink to such low pedantry; oh no, not me!
>
> To which level of pedantry would you actively descend, then?

The one just above prepositional endings and split infinitives.

--
Wijnand

Wijnand Thompson

necitită,
8 dec. 1997, 03:00:0008.12.1997

In article <C4f+DqAQ...@glost.demon.co.uk> pete
<Pe...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <348852a3...@news.demon.co.uk>, Wijnand Thompson
> <dro...@walhall.demon.co.uk> writes
> >

> >This makes me pleased that I didn't point out the grammatical
> >error
>

> Where was the error?

Murff wrote 'both' instead of 'each'.

Note: the above is not to have a go at Murff; good English
is not, necessarily, English which follows the 'rules' but
English which clearly conveys the writer's meaning - Murff
usually achieves that, as he did in this case.

--
Wijnand

Haplo

necitită,
8 dec. 1997, 03:00:0008.12.1997

In article <9712080...@pierrot.co.uk>, Terrance Richard Boyes
wibbled:

>John Hall (ne...@jhall.demon.co.uk) wrote:
>> In article <9712061...@pierrot.co.uk>,
>> Terrance Richard Boyes <t...@pierrot.co.uk> writes:

>> >Didn't happen to see HIGNFY last night did you...
>> >
>> No. What happened?
>
>Ah, they had some arts luvvie or other on. He picked up on Ian Hislop's
>use of less/fewer.

I think his name was Brian Sewell. I thought he was priceless (but
not in the same way that he thinks he's priceless).

--
Haplo

Alec Cawley

necitită,
9 dec. 1997, 03:00:0009.12.1997

It was said by Haplo that

I agree that he is priceless - he should be passed to Damien Hirst to be
preserved in formaldehyde as a more extreme example of the luvvie than I
ever expected to see (until a few years ago, when he loomed over the
horizon) outside a comic strip.

Having said that, he carried of HIGNFY better than the average guest,
and better than the professional comedian opposite.

Alec

Vivianne

necitită,
9 dec. 1997, 03:00:0009.12.1997

In article <34957d42...@news.demon.co.uk>, Haplo
<pat...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wibbled ........

>In article <9712080...@pierrot.co.uk>, Terrance Richard Boyes
>wibbled:
>
>>John Hall (ne...@jhall.demon.co.uk) wrote:

>>> No. What happened?
>>
>>Ah, they had some arts luvvie or other on. He picked up on Ian Hislop's
>>use of less/fewer.
>
>I think his name was Brian Sewell. I thought he was priceless (but
>not in the same way that he thinks he's priceless).

You mean he was serious?

--
Bubble Warped of Essex

Haplo

necitită,
9 dec. 1997, 03:00:0009.12.1997

In article <lYyRdVAn...@vanillapod.demon.co.uk>, Vivianne
wibbled:

>In article <34957d42...@news.demon.co.uk>, Haplo
><pat...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wibbled ........

>>I think his name was Brian Sewell. I thought he was priceless (but
>>not in the same way that he thinks he's priceless).
>>
>You mean he was serious?

Too damn right he was - but he got away with it because he has the
ability to laugh at himself.

--
Haplo

Haplo

necitită,
9 dec. 1997, 03:00:0009.12.1997

In article <jyvhpVAJ...@cawley.demon.co.uk>, Alec Cawley wibbled:

>It was said by Haplo that

>>I think his name was Brian Sewell. I thought he was priceless (but
>>not in the same way that he thinks he's priceless).
>

>Having said that, he carried of HIGNFY better than the average guest,
>and better than the professional comedian opposite.

...who seemed to be waging a personal vendetta against the man. An
easy target, in the circumstances - Hislop and Merton were far more
restrained and didn't resort to a playground mentality.

--
Haplo

David Hadley

necitită,
10 dec. 1997, 03:00:0010.12.1997

Alec Cawley <al...@cawley.demon.co.uk> wrote:

[Brian Sewell]

>I agree that he is priceless - he should be passed to Damien Hirst to be
>preserved in formaldehyde as a more extreme example of the luvvie than I
>ever expected to see (until a few years ago, when he loomed over the
>horizon) outside a comic strip.

I like him. I don't particularly agree with a lot of what he says -
except that a large amount of modern art is complete bollocks - but I
like his style, wit, sense of humour and all that.

>Having said that, he carried of HIGNFY better than the average guest,
>and better than the professional comedian opposite.

I don't know why they have to do that. In many cases, especially the
'celebrity' ones, they ruin a good show by giving time to these
pillocks they pick because of their celebrity status rather than for
knowing what the news (that doesn't involve themselves) actually is.

But that would then make HIGNFY almost as good as the News Quiz
instead of an almost anaemic imitation, and we can't have that.

--
David Hadley

Vivianne

necitită,
10 dec. 1997, 03:00:0010.12.1997

In article <349bab6d...@news.demon.co.uk>, Haplo

<pat...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wibbled ........
>In article <lYyRdVAn...@vanillapod.demon.co.uk>, Vivianne
>wibbled:
>
>>In article <34957d42...@news.demon.co.uk>, Haplo
>><pat...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wibbled ........
>>>I think his name was Brian Sewell. I thought he was priceless (but
>>>not in the same way that he thinks he's priceless).
>>>
>>You mean he was serious?
>
>Too damn right he was - but he got away with it because he has the
>ability to laugh at himself.

I suspected a bit of tongue in cheek.

Nosmo

necitită,
10 dec. 1997, 03:00:0010.12.1997

In article <gNuAYyAV...@vanillapod.demon.co.uk>, Vivianne
<vivi...@vanillapod.demon.co.uk> writes

[HIGNFY]

>I suspected a bit of tongue in cheek.

No way. He was here at the flat watching the program with me.
--
Nosmo

Terrance Richard Boyes

necitită,
12 dec. 1997, 03:00:0012.12.1997

Richard Ashton ({R}@nospam.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> In article <9712080...@pierrot.co.uk>

> t...@pierrot.co.uk "Terrance Richard Boyes" writes:
>
> } Ah, they had some arts luvvie or other on. He picked up on Ian Hislop's
> } use of less/fewer.
>
> Arts Luvie? You are a not good enough for a Hedgehog Sandwich, Boyes.

??? I've been more insulted, on many occasions. Maybe I'm too much of a
phillistine to understand it.

However, he was old (well white hair), he was certainly something to do
with one of the National Galleries (and I recall seeing him slagging off
the Turner Prize entries on C4 a few days previously), and that combination
of voice and attitude can lead to no other description than luvvie (in
much the same way I'd describe Larry and Johnnie).

--
<URL:http://www.pierrot.co.uk/> Team AMIGA

Know thyself. If you need help, call the C.I.A.

John Hall

necitită,
12 dec. 1997, 03:00:0012.12.1997

In article <9712122...@pierrot.co.uk>,

Terrance Richard Boyes <t...@pierrot.co.uk> writes:
>that combination
>of voice and attitude can lead to no other description than luvvie (in
>much the same way I'd describe Larry and Johnnie).

As in the song:

"Larry and Johnnie were luvvies,
Lordy, how they did luv."
--
John Hall
"If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come

pete

necitită,
28 dec. 1997, 03:00:0028.12.1997

In article <34957d42...@news.demon.co.uk>, Haplo
<pat...@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes

>I think his name was Brian Sewell. I thought he was priceless (but
>not in the same way that he thinks he's priceless).

It is and he is and I agree. His accent epitomises the phrase 'cut
glass'...
--
Pete

Wijnand Thompson

necitită,
6 ian. 1998, 03:00:0006.01.1998

Vivianne <vivi...@vanillapod.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <34957d42...@news.demon.co.uk>, Haplo
> <pat...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wibbled ........
> >In article <9712080...@pierrot.co.uk>, Terrance Richard Boyes
> >wibbled:

> >>Ah, they had some arts luvvie or other on. He picked up on Ian Hislop's
> >>use of less/fewer.
> >
> >I think his name was Brian Sewell. I thought he was priceless (but
> >not in the same way that he thinks he's priceless).
> >
> You mean he was serious?

Mr. Sewell's delivery may, at times, be tongue-in-cheek but
what he says is usually serious. I am ambivalent toward him;
his accent irritates me but he certainly knows his stuff, even
though at times he is a little less objective than he might be;
but hey, that's in the nature of art.

The only time I have seen him out of his depth is when The Late
Show confronted him with the group of women who had written an
open letter to one of the quality papers complaining the he was
a misogynist; he became more and more flustered and agitated as
the discussion progressed; he was visibly very uncomfortable.

--
Wijnand

0 mesaje noi