Default munged address for newsgroup - please remind me how to!

Ian Jackson

Sep 20, 2016, 11:56:42 AM9/20/16
As it is no longer possible to use my Demon email address, the
munged address I use for newsgroups (ianREMOVETHISjackson@
g3ohx.demon.co.uk) is no longer appropriate, and it's misleading for
anyone who wants to email me direct. Instead, I'd like to use
ianKILLTHED...@g3ohx.demon.co.uk, However, although I've set it
up in Personalities, and told it to be the default, it only appears
(above) as one of drop-down options. The default remains as it was
previously, and I have to remember to manually select the one I want
each time I want to send a post.

Changing my munged email address is something I've done before on
countless occasions - but this time I'm obviously missing something. Can
someone please advise me where I'm going wrong?

--
Ian

Bill

Sep 20, 2016, 2:15:24 PM9/20/16
In message <lGgosMGw...@g3ohx.demon.co.uk>, Ian Jackson
<ianKILLTHED...@g3ohx.demon.co.uk> writes
>As it is no longer possible to use my Demon email address, the
>munged address I use for newsgroups (ianREMOVETHISjackson@
>g3ohx.demon.co.uk) is no longer appropriate, and it's misleading for
>anyone who wants to email me direct. Instead, I'd like to use ianKILLTHE
>DEMONj...@g3ohx.demon.co.uk, However, although I've set it up in
>Personalities, and told it to be the default, it only appears (above) as one
>of drop-down options. The default remains as it was previously, and I have
>to remember to manually select the one I want each time I want to send
>a post.
>
>Changing my munged email address is something I've done before on
>countless occasions - but this time I'm obviously missing something. Can
>someone please advise me where I'm going wrong?

As far as I know, you just right click on the newsgroup name, select
Properties, Sending and then "Use a specific Personality"
--
Bill

Ian Jackson

Sep 20, 2016, 2:39:28 PM9/20/16
In message <o$fU66zxy...@end.of.the.universe>, Bill
<Billa...@gmail.com> writes
By George - you've got it!
Many thanks.
[But I don't recall doing it that way before.]
--
Ian

John Hall

Sep 20, 2016, 2:52:51 PM9/20/16
I think the "(default)" shown against one of the personalities in the
drop-down list only means that it is the one that is used in a situation
where TP hasn't been told to use a different one. In my case, for
instance, the "(default)" is attached to the personality that I use for
email and not the one that I use for news.

You can set the personality for a newsgroup folder by right-clicking it,
and then choosing Properties > Sending. You don't have to do it
individually newsgroup by newsgroup if you do it for the folder that's
the next level up.
--
John Hall
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and born in sin"

Ian Jackson

Sep 20, 2016, 3:04:48 PM9/20/16
In message <x2AXmtESTY4XFwDn@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
<john_...@jhall.co.uk> writes
Yes - I've done what Bill said. You can do it NG by NG, of on
'Newsgroups' folder to do it en masse. I must have done this lots of
times in the past, but now, for the life of me, I simply couldn't see
how it was done.
--
Ian

Brian Howie

Sep 20, 2016, 3:07:38 PM9/20/16
On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 16:56:32 +0100, Ian Jackson
<ianKILLTHED...@g3ohx.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>As it is no longer possible to use my Demon email address, the
>munged address I use for newsgroups (ianREMOVETHISjackson@
>g3ohx.demon.co.uk) is no longer appropriate, and it's misleading for
>anyone who wants to email me direct. Instead, I'd like to use
>ianKILLTHED...@g3ohx.demon.co.uk,

I'd say you were no longer allowed to use the .demon.co.uk address and
you are going to have to find an entirely new spam-trap address. I'm
not even sure of the use of the nospam.demon,co,uk, even though I'm
still a demon user.

g3ohx.demon.co.uk translates to a valid ip address, which ironically
no longer belongs to you.

Brian

Ian Jackson

Sep 20, 2016, 4:20:43 PM9/20/16
In message <j013ubdik1vb6k8fa...@4ax.com>, Brian Howie
<Br...@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
AIUI, DemonFone are progressively ceasing to provide an email service -
and, to achieve this, we excommunicated Demonites are being stopped from
using the mail.demon.co.uk mail server. I don't think we have actually
been told to stop using our Demon email addresses.

DemonFone took from me, by direct debit, a full year's up-front
subscription on 29 August, and the very next day informed me I was being
terminated. As my subscription is paying for what little service
DemonFone still feels fit to supply, I feel absolutely no compunction
about getting as much use as I can out of my email address until such
time as my contract with DemonFone is finally terminated - which will be
when Plusnet are eventually able to 'take me on', and DemonFone
(hopefully) refund the unused portion of my subscription.
--
Ian

Bill

Sep 20, 2016, 6:47:36 PM9/20/16
In message <s6xqz0H3...@g3ohx.demon.co.uk>, Ian Jackson
<ianKILLTHED...@g3ohx.demon.co.uk> writes
If someone else has the use of my old Demon address, I expect them to be
pretty impressed by the amount of spam they will drown under.

When I had moved to Plusnet, Demon sent me an invoice for the next
month's subscription. I responded with a pleasant but firm letter
telling them the date I had left. I have now received a further
statement from them informing me that they now owe me for the 7 days
that they had previously charged for after my actual leaving date and
cancelling the September invoice.
It seemed to me to be straightforward and honourable. The only thing is
that I haven't yet received any actual cash back, but I'm pretty cool
with that, as the saying goes.
--
Bill

Ian Jackson

Sep 21, 2016, 3:26:04 AM9/21/16
In message <VxG7pE4V...@end.of.the.universe>, Bill
<Billa...@gmail.com> writes
I have to say that, for quite a long time, I haven't really been getting
that much spam. All I can put it down to is the fact that I lead a
relatively virtuous life.

>When I had moved to Plusnet, Demon sent me an invoice for the next
>month's subscription. I responded with a pleasant but firm letter
>telling them the date I had left. I have now received a further
>statement from them informing me that they now owe me for the 7 days
>that they had previously charged for after my actual leaving date and
>cancelling the September invoice.
>It seemed to me to be straightforward and honourable. The only thing is
>that I haven't yet received any actual cash back, but I'm pretty cool
>with that, as the saying goes.

It's nice to have it confirmed that Demon's policy is to automatically
refund unused subs. This is in contrast to BT not refunding any of an
up-front one-year payment for line rental (now £205, I think). My
payment expires at the beginning of December, and with my transfer to
Plusnet (internet + phone) it looked like I would be losing around £50
of it. However, there is still no sign of the Plusnet service becoming
available - and if things drag on, I could well have the satisfaction of
using up most or all of the £50 while still with BT. [Mental note: Make
sure I cancel any continuing direct debit, just in case I'm still with
BT when the renewal date comes up.]

--
Ian

Brian Howie

Sep 21, 2016, 9:58:17 AM9/21/16
Yes It's all a bit of a mess. I paid monthly, but took out a year's
namesco subscription for e-mail. I suppose you should continue to use
the domain until it expires or they refund. You're still paying for the
fixed IP from what you say. I'm not sure what you can do with it ,apart
from running an SDR server. I've managed to that.

Brian
--
Brian Howie