Cnfigure TP for a new ISP

Bill

Aug 25, 2016, 1:00:43 PM8/25/16
OK, I'm on PlusNet and the broadband connection seems fine. I'm posting
this from my Pan newsreader because I'm struggling with TP6.

I believe I've set up the incoming and outgoing mailboxes more or less
correctly, but when I go to the "Connection" area of Connect, I still Have
"Demon via router" and a set of greyed out buttons.

If I'm somehow running a version of TP that is locked to Demon, I have the
TP codes from the year dot that I think should allow other ISP's, but I
haven't found any way of putting them in.

Another complication was that the changeover took 2 days and coincided
with a flurry of activity, but that's another story.

Martin Liddle

Aug 25, 2016, 1:25:51 PM8/25/16
On 25/08/2016 18:00, Bill wrote:

> I believe I've set up the incoming and outgoing mailboxes more or less
> correctly,

Tell us what settings you have used otherwise we will just be guessing.

but when I go to the "Connection" area of Connect, I still Have
> "Demon via router" and a set of greyed out buttons.

I don't think that will matter in the slightest; it is effectively
saying don't use a modem, connect via a router.

--
Martin Liddle, Tynemouth Computer Services
Staveley, Chesterfield, Derbyshire UK

Bill

Aug 25, 2016, 1:51:49 PM8/25/16
On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 18:25:48 +0100, Martin Liddle wrote:

> On 25/08/2016 18:00, Bill wrote:
>>
>> I believe I've set up the incoming and outgoing mailboxes more or less
>> correctly,
>
> Tell us what settings you have used otherwise we will just be guessing.
>
> but when I go to the "Connection" area of Connect, I still Have
>> "Demon via router" and a set of greyed out buttons.
>>
> I don't think that will matter in the slightest; it is effectively
> saying don't use a modem, connect via a router.

Well,I've set it to my username at mail.plus.net, with the correct
password. Use APOP is not ticked. I can't see anywhere to set port numbers
in TP.

I had left it to collect from Demon, but I've switched Demon out, and news
collection off, and I now see just the Plusnet logon when I fire up the
logging. It appears to collect mail from the POP3 server, says Hello
There,the password is accepted and it says OK Logged in, then says Bye Bye.

But test emails sent from gmail don't arrive. I've tried via the domain
redirect and directly.

In Service Access, it still says Demon, and the DNS's are both Demon DNS's.
The hostname is the same as it was on Demon.

I haven't looked to see if Plus have web email access. I suppose that's
the next place to grope around.

Bill

Aug 25, 2016, 2:10:34 PM8/25/16
It looks to me as though it's something wrong with my settings at PlusNet,
as nothing appears on the webmail and I've found bounce messages from gmail
saying my"domain" doesn't exist.

When I have time for the support wait, I'll ask them.

Andy

Aug 25, 2016, 2:17:06 PM8/25/16
In message <npnb7k$jar$1...@dont-email.me>, Bill <billa...@gmail.com>
wrote
[]

>I had left it to collect from Demon, but I've switched Demon out, and news
>collection off, and I now see just the Plusnet logon when I fire up the
>logging. It appears to collect mail from the POP3 server, says Hello
>There,the password is accepted and it says OK Logged in, then says Bye Bye.

Go to Connect then Email Transfer, tick the box at the bottom that says
Debug. You'll get reams of log, some of which might help.
--
Andy Taylor [Editor, Austrian Philatelic Society].
Visit www dot austrianphilately dot com>

John Hall

Aug 25, 2016, 2:29:23 PM8/25/16
In message <npnb7k$jar$1...@dont-email.me>, Bill <billa...@gmail.com>
writes
>On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 18:25:48 +0100, Martin Liddle wrote:
>
>> On 25/08/2016 18:00, Bill wrote:
>>>
>>> I believe I've set up the incoming and outgoing mailboxes more or less
>>> correctly,
>>
>> Tell us what settings you have used otherwise we will just be guessing.
>>
>> but when I go to the "Connection" area of Connect, I still Have
>>> "Demon via router" and a set of greyed out buttons.
>>>
>> I don't think that will matter in the slightest; it is effectively
>> saying don't use a modem, connect via a router.
>
>Well,I've set it to my username at mail.plus.net, with the correct
>password. Use APOP is not ticked. I can't see anywhere to set port numbers
>in TP.

For receiving email, under Configure > Email transfer highlight the POP3
account in question and click on Edit. The port number can be set at the
top right. By default it says POP3, which I think equates to port 110,
but from what you say below it sounds as though that is correct for
Plusnet. You can also set an outgoing email port, but again I suspect
that the default will be OK.

>I had left it to collect from Demon, but I've switched Demon out, and news
>collection off, and I now see just the Plusnet logon when I fire up the
>logging. It appears to collect mail from the POP3 server, says Hello
>There,the password is accepted and it says OK Logged in, then says Bye Bye.

That sounds promising.

>But test emails sent from gmail don't arrive. I've tried via the domain
>redirect and directly.

Maybe you haven't addressed the test emails correctly?

>In Service Access, it still says Demon, and the DNS's are both Demon DNS's.

I imagine that you will have to change that at some point.

>The hostname is the same as it was on Demon.
>
>I haven't looked to see if Plus have web email access. I suppose that's
>the next place to grope around.

If you can use webmail, you'll be able to check whether your test emails
arrived or not.

Looking on the web, Plusnet have guidance on setting up email here:

https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/#general-email-help
--
John Hall
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and born in sin"

John Hall

Aug 25, 2016, 2:39:23 PM8/25/16
In message <npnb7k$jar$1...@dont-email.me>, Bill <billa...@gmail.com>
writes
>In Service Access, it still says Demon, and the DNS's are both Demon
>DNS's.

Looks like for now you can still use the Demon DNS, but when/if you need
to change then:

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/about-dns-server-and-website-settings
/

Bill

Aug 25, 2016, 7:19:56 PM8/25/16
Thanks, John and Martin.

It appears I was too hasty and believed the Plusnet website when it said
email changes may take 30 minutes to activate. It took over 5 hours, but
suddenly all started to work.

This is also a test posting to see if this works through the new ISP.

I might post something about all the other mistakes I made, on
Demon.service, as it might help others to avoid my stupidity.

--
Bill

Ian Jackson

Aug 26, 2016, 2:42:57 AM8/26/16
In message <fFwzApIR...@itsound.demon.co.uk>, Bill
<Billa...@gmail.com> writes
Ian

bert

Aug 26, 2016, 7:58:45 AM8/26/16
In article <fFwzApIR...@itsound.demon.co.uk>, Bill
<Billa...@gmail.com> writes
>Thanks, John and Martin.
>
>It appears I was too hasty and believed the Plusnet website when it
>said email changes may take 30 minutes to activate. It took over 5
>hours, but suddenly all started to work.

You can also ignore anything about registering other domains.
>This is also a test posting to see if this works through the new ISP.
>
>I might post something about all the other mistakes I made, on
>Demon.service, as it might help others to avoid my stupidity.

--
bert

David Rance

Aug 26, 2016, 11:13:46 AM8/26/16
On Fri, 26 Aug 2016 00:19:45 Bill wrote:

>It appears I was too hasty and believed the Plusnet website when it
>said email changes may take 30 minutes to activate. It took over 5
>hours, but suddenly all started to work.

One is often told when making such changes that it can take up to 24
hours to propagate through the Internet. I made a change last week and I
had to wait overnight for the change to take effect.

David

bert

Aug 26, 2016, 12:19:25 PM8/26/16
In article <$eWWUJbg...@david.rance.org.uk>, David Rance
<david...@SPAMOFF.invalid> writes
>On Fri, 26 Aug 2016 00:19:45 Bill wrote:
>
>>It appears I was too hasty and believed the Plusnet website when it
>>said email changes may take 30 minutes to activate. It took over 5
>>hours, but suddenly all started to work.
>
>One is often told when making such changes that it can take up to 24
>hours to propagate through the Internet. I made a change last week and
>I had to wait overnight for the change to take effect.
>
>David

When I transferred to Plusnet my e-mail account was set up before the
actual transfer date. I could receive but I couldn't send until my
broadband had been switched, and then it was earlier than I had been
told.
--
bert

Ian Jackson

Aug 26, 2016, 2:17:22 PM8/26/16
In message <fuq82EGJ...@m1.co>, bert <be...@btinternet.com> writes
If I apply today (instead of yesterday), my activation date seems have
jumped from the 9 Sep to 12 Sep, Demon email ends on 10 Sep, so I might
gave to tell a lot of people temporarily to use (say) my Hotmail address
instead.

When you are completing the application form, you have to enter a
username (and password) to access the account you will set up - and it
has to start with two letters. Unfortunately, the account username is
)in Plusnet parlance) also the bit after the @ in your email address -
and I would prefer it to start with 'g3'. Is there no way around this
strange restriction?
--
Ian

bert

Aug 26, 2016, 3:23:38 PM8/26/16
In article <h6upDnAq...@g3ohx.demon.co.uk>, Ian Jackson
<ianREMOVET...@g3ohx.demon.co.uk> writes
Not noticed that. Ask plusnet support but I suspect it's "a rule"
Plusnet support also lurk in uk.telecom.broadband and will usually
respond to any issues.
I gave up on their e-mail as soon as they confirmed they had dropped
domain registration. I switched to gmail and set it up to collect any
plusnet e-mails for me.
--
bert