What is the current state off Deft js 5 ?

Martin Fabik

Jan 28, 2015, 3:59:25 AM1/28/15
to def...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I'm upgrading my 4.2 app to the current Ext js 5.1.

I had a look at https://github.com/deftjs/DeftJS5 and it seems like it is still in alpha phase and the last commit is from a half year ago ?

Chris Young

May 28, 2015, 11:49:08 AM5/28/15
to def...@googlegroups.com
I would also like to know the state of the project. We are getting ready to start looking at moving from 4.2 to 6.

Brian Kotek

Jun 1, 2015, 5:15:58 PM6/1/15
to deftjs

You should be able to join the list (let me know if you can't though). We do have it set up to require approval for first time posters (to limit spam), but we get notified about that and I'll be sure to approve you.

Just let me know if you run into any trouble.

--
Deft JS home page: http://deftjs.org/
Wiki: https://github.com/deftjs/DeftJS/wiki

Brian Kotek

Jun 2, 2015, 10:56:44 AM6/2/15
to deftjs
Sorry folks! Responded here when I was trying to orchestrate a reply among the dev team members. We should have some more info to post here shortly. Thanks.

Joe Guaneri

Jun 2, 2015, 11:41:12 AM6/2/15
to def...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

I recently just jumped on to help out on the project I sent a pull request up recently to do just a little bit of housekeeping and get the Deft5 code ready for a package release.   Once we release the package you will be able to use Sencha Cmd to work with the package.  I use Deft and Ext every day and consider Deft to be mission critical to my applications so I'll be updating it as much as possible.

At this point the code is really stable.  I've been using the current source code for the past year and as long as you don't use the Deft ViewControllers, all functionality should work with the current source.  If you have Deft ViewControllers, you will want to convert to Ext ViewControllers.  There is a little overhead in doing so and I can put together a small guide on that process if you need that.

Going forward, I'm putting together a roadmap on what I would like to do, but given the release schedule for 6, I think the next practical item will be upgrading Deft once again from Ext 5 to Ext 6.  With this in mind, I believe Promises may end up in Ext as well.  I believe Isaac had code he was working on with them and could be more insightful on this fact.  Given that, Promises may move from Deft into Ext as well, similar to what happened with ViewControllers.  I expect to start working on the Deft 6 release soon-ish though so you can track this through that development as well.  I would really like to release Deft 6 to coincide with the release of Ext 6.

Again, since I'm still putting a roadmap together on what needs to be done, if you have any feature requests or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out to me!

Thanks,
Joe

Brian Kotek

Jun 2, 2015, 11:44:58 AM6/2/15
to deftjs
Hmm just to add: the original idea was that you could use the Deft 5 ViewController, but that you had to convert them to the Ext JS ViewController syntax for things like view references and listeners. The Deft VC extends the Sencha VC and just adds some additional behavior (automatically applies the Injectable mixin, sets up Observer listeners, etc.). Unless something has changed, I'm pretty sure this is still the case.

--
Deft JS home page: http://deftjs.org/
Wiki: https://github.com/deftjs/DeftJS/wiki

Chris Young

Jun 2, 2015, 11:53:29 AM6/2/15
to def...@googlegroups.com
I believe that is correct. I will let you know. We have a lot more work than just Deft to bring our app to Ext 5/6.

Brian Kotek

Jun 2, 2015, 11:53:45 AM6/2/15
to deftjs
I'll also say that as far as I know, most of the work around Ext JS 6 was bringing mobile apps into the fold (and basically ending the Touch line). If that's true, and they haven't also made any big internal changes, I'd expect Deft 5 to work with Ext JS 6 without any major problems.

What happens with Promises will probably depend on if (or what) Promise features they add. Just like ViewControllers, if Sencha adds enough capability that maintaining a separate implementation in Deft doesn't make sense any longer, then the Deft implementation would probably be removed or wrapped (with most of the logic being handled by the Sencha implementation). But I think this remains to be seen.

Joe Guaneri

Jun 2, 2015, 12:06:58 PM6/2/15
to def...@googlegroups.com
I'm hoping Deft 5 will work without really any changes.  The way they merged the two frameworks was extremely lazy though, since you still have distinct builds for modern and classic which makes no sense to me given that Profiles work really well.  It really feels like they took the Ext code base and the Touch code base, put them underneath sub folders and patted themselves on the back from what I've looked at so far.

The Deft ViewControllers and Ext ViewControllers diverge significantly that if you use controls and refs you're better off rewriting the controller.  The controls need to be rewritten and the refs disappear in favor of Sencha's lookupReference() function.  If you created controllers without either of those, the upgrade is pretty straightforward.  I've tried to build a new RefMixin in the past to support the ref functionality which is really nice in Touch but for some reason completely missing in Ext, but we ended up throwing it out since it caused more problems than good since the lookupReference() function isn't that bad to use.

Chris Young

Jun 2, 2015, 12:10:26 PM6/2/15
to def...@googlegroups.com
It looks like the Promise class is only in the modern framework.

Chris Young

Jun 2, 2015, 12:17:04 PM6/2/15
to def...@googlegroups.com
Brian,

You have a blog post about updating the Deft to work with ext 5 (http://www.sencha.com/blog/upgrading-deft-js-to-work-with-ext-js-5/). Is it better to use that as a reference or the Wiki on Github?

June 2, 2015 at 10:53 AM
I'll also say that as far as I know, most of the work around Ext JS 6 was bringing mobile apps into the fold (and basically ending the Touch line). If that's true, and they haven't also made any big internal changes, I'd expect Deft 5 to work with Ext JS 6 without any major problems.

What happens with Promises will probably depend on if (or what) Promise features they add. Just like ViewControllers, if Sencha adds enough capability that maintaining a separate implementation in Deft doesn't make sense any longer, then the Deft implementation would probably be removed or wrapped (with most of the logic being handled by the Sencha implementation). But I think this remains to be seen.

--
Deft JS home page: http://deftjs.org/
Wiki: https://github.com/deftjs/DeftJS/wiki

June 2, 2015 at 10:44 AM
Hmm just to add: the original idea was that you could use the Deft 5 ViewController, but that you had to convert them to the Ext JS ViewController syntax for things like view references and listeners. The Deft VC extends the Sencha VC and just adds some additional behavior (automatically applies the Injectable mixin, sets up Observer listeners, etc.). Unless something has changed, I'm pretty sure this is still the case.

--
Deft JS home page: http://deftjs.org/
Wiki: https://github.com/deftjs/DeftJS/wiki

June 2, 2015 at 10:24 AM

On Thursday, May 28, 2015 at 11:49:08 AM UTC-4, Chris Young wrote:
--
Deft JS home page: http://deftjs.org/
Wiki: https://github.com/deftjs/DeftJS/wiki
May 28, 2015 at 10:26 AM

On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 2:59:25 AM UTC-6, Martin Fabik wrote:
--
Deft JS home page: http://deftjs.org/
Wiki: https://github.com/deftjs/DeftJS/wiki

Brian Kotek

Jun 2, 2015, 1:39:50 PM6/2/15
to deftjs
Both should be pretty similar. Have you noticed any big differences between what's in that blog post and what's in the Deft 5 wiki?

Chris Young

Jun 2, 2015, 2:01:48 PM6/2/15
to def...@googlegroups.com
In the blog post it was getReference vs lookupReference. I have not looked that closely at the differences.

June 2, 2015 at 12:39 PM
Both should be pretty similar. Have you noticed any big differences between what's in that blog post and what's in the Deft 5 wiki?

--
Deft JS home page: http://deftjs.org/
Wiki: https://github.com/deftjs/DeftJS/wiki

June 2, 2015 at 11:17 AM
Brian,

You have a blog post about updating the Deft to work with ext 5 (http://www.sencha.com/blog/upgrading-deft-js-to-work-with-ext-js-5/). Is it better to use that as a reference or the Wiki on Github?

Brian Kotek

Jun 2, 2015, 3:07:10 PM6/2/15
to deftjs
Ah, yes they did change the name of that function while Ext JS 5 was in alpha/beta. The final name ended up being lookupReference().

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Deft JS" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/deftjs/556DEF88.2070000%40nolimitssoftware.com.