Does DeftJS works with ExtJS 6?

Rakesh Goyal

Dec 18, 2016, 12:52:22 AM12/18/16
to Deft JS
We are using deft js with ext js 4 and planning to migrate to ext js 6 (MVC). I could not find any clear documentation which says deft js works with ext js 6.

https://github.com/deftjs/DeftJS5 specifies about it but not very clear to me.

Could anybody confirm this please.

Chad Glendenin

Dec 20, 2016, 1:28:39 PM12/20/16
to def...@googlegroups.com
I don't want to speak for the core developers, so I hope one of them will respond, but I will say that the last time I checked, John Yanarella's twitter was all about React development, and there has been no activity on this email list for a long time.

I have been operating under the assumption that Deft JS is abandonware.

A lot small and independent developers began leaving the Ext JS ecosystem when Sencha pulled that stealth license change that quintupled the license price overnight with no warning. They made a lot of people angry with that move and the disrespectful way they handled it.

--
Deft JS home page: http://deftjs.org/
Wiki: https://github.com/deftjs/DeftJS/wiki

Joe Guaneri

Dec 20, 2016, 1:49:25 PM12/20/16
to Deft JS
Hi Guys,

A lot of the core features of Deft were moved into ExtJS.  The Promises API was literally taken from Deft, Isaac worked with Sencha when ExtJS 5 was coming out.  ExtJS ViewControllers are better than anything in Deft MVC and with the MVVM stuff, I don't see much of a need for that piece.  The major piece I still use today is the IoC part.  The projects I've worked on and know that use it haven't ran into any problems with it so I haven't put maintaining this high up on my list.  After I helped get the 5 build out this kind of went to the back burner as I had what I needed from the repo side of things.

If there are any features that people find necessary to add I can look at adding them in, and if necessary, I can fork the library and push out a new 6 build.  We were looking into proxying the classes that have been replaced but I haven't found it as straightforward as possible with the coffeescript code and I didn't place converting this back to only dealing with vanilla JS as a priority because the IoC piece works.  At this point having migrated from ExtJS 4 -> 5 -> 6 I've not seen the proxies as useful given that we just switched over the ViewControllers.

Chad's on point with the community though.  The loss of the free mobile license was a real bummer.  At this point I can think of a handful of companies still using Sencha though every time I see an opportunity for a role dealing with ExtJS the long term roadmap is to just maintain it long enough to convert to Angular or React or something else.  Basically, if you don't need a crazy grid - the alternative ag-grid is not close on features - there are cheaper, faster, and easier to maintain alternatives.

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 10:42 PM, Rakesh Goyal <rakesh...@eltropy.com> wrote:
We are using deft js with ext js 4 and planning to migrate to ext js 6 (MVC). I could not find any clear documentation which says deft js works with ext js 6.

https://github.com/deftjs/DeftJS5 specifies about it but not very clear to me.

Could anybody confirm this please.

--
Deft JS home page: http://deftjs.org/
Wiki: https://github.com/deftjs/DeftJS/wiki

Peter Marko

Dec 20, 2016, 3:00:38 PM12/20/16
to def...@googlegroups.com
Same happened to us. We loved extjs4 with deftjs but the new licence model forced us to move to alternatives. We are still maintaining some extjs apps but all the new one are not extjs anymore. :-( there is no need for deftjs in ext6 as already mentioned in this thread above.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/deftjs/f35c86fc-5018-4e97-a4b8-fc536f812b09%40googlegroups.com.

Brian Kotek

Dec 20, 2016, 4:01:34 PM12/20/16
to deftjs
Yes, much of Deft was incorporated into Ext JS 6. The main feature that Deft still offers is IoC. I'm not sure why Sencha is so resistant to adding that to the Ext core, but for whatever reason, they haven't.

Like many others, I've moved on (Angular 2 in my case). Ext JS is a great component library, but:
  • The costs keep going up
  • The other UI options have, for the most part, caught up.
  • Slow or non-existent adoption of industry-wide standards (ES6, npm, etc.)
  • Ever-increasing dependence on Cmd, which I always found utterly awful
  • Sencha's market share and industry standing collapsed in the face of React and Angular
But the real killer for my company/projects was Sencha's total lack of transparency on what they're planning. We simply could not plan for multi-year projects based on Ext JS when no one has any idea, at all, on what direction they're going in. That just became too much of a risk.

So, long story short, I'm not sure how well Deft works with Ext 6, but I would think that the IoC pieces should still work.

Regards,

Brian

Joe Guaneri

Dec 20, 2016, 5:23:48 PM12/20/16
to Deft JS
The IoC pieces do work as I still use them and I know others that do.  The installation isn't as clean anymore in some cases - no need for the Deft.Application - but otherwise I've had no problems with that part.  I've also have been puzzled to by the lack of inclusion of IoC.  If there's still a need I can look at creating a Deft v6 with just the IoC piece if necessary.