Re: Deducer (and JGR) extremely small on Windows 8.1 (I believe)

Tom Hopper

Jan 30, 2015, 1:55:01 PM1/30/15
to JSS, ded...@googlegroups.com
This might be a problem with high-DPI screens and software that doesn't correctly inherit the scaling from Windows (probably a problem in the Java libraries used by Deduce).

The solution, short of rewriting JGR, would be a change in the application compatibility settings for JGR, which on 32-bit systems can be changed by right-clicking on the app, but on 32-bit systems has to be changed in the registry. See this link for details.

Alternatively, your students can use the magnification tool or switch to a lower resolution.

Good luck,

Tom

On Jan 30, 2015, at 11:19 AM, JSS <mav...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello all,

I am attempting to gather screenshots from my students now for reference, but a few of my students using more recent Windows devices (8.1), but NOT all my students using said devices, have extremely small windows for JGR and Deducer.  We have increased the text size but menu options and other buttons/rows in the Data Viewer/etc are still too small to read.  Is there a way to modify the "size" of the UI?

Thanks!

--

---

JSS

Mar 20, 2015, 2:12:54 PM3/20/15
to ded...@googlegroups.com, mav...@gmail.com
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the idea, but unfortunately, changing the application compatibility settings did not fix it.  In checking to see if it resolved the issue, I noticed this is also an issue with the base R - there are just so many fewer dialogue boxes that it goes unnoticed.  It appears to be some kind of screen scaling issue so your idea may be on the right track.  Lowering screen resolution just made everything quite a bit smaller.  :(  It is a much bigger issue in Deducer, where the plot builder ends up extremely small and dialogue boxes become unreadable sometimes.

Does anyone else have any ideas?