R 3.4.3 upgrade -- and now JGR startup hangs at JavaGD

kieran...@monash.edu

Feb 1, 2018, 1:36:40 AM2/1/18
to Deducer
Hi all,

The topic title pretty much says it all.
I've recently updated R (windows) from 3.2.3 to 3.4.3, using the installr package, with updateR().

During the installation, the existing packages were copied over to 3.4.3. I then updated all packages (some requiring recompilation) -- which went fine.

Amongst those updated were JGR and Deducer. However, now when I go to load JGR, R hangs at the stage of loading JavaGD.

> library(JGR)

it hangs the R console. Forever. I can't quit the console, or the RGui. I have to force quit.
If I use RStudio, same thing. RStudio can't terminate the console, and I can't close RStudio.

I've never had this before. Has anyone else updated (I updated yesterday), and are experiencing the same issues?

Any ideas?

cheers,
Kieran

Ian Fellows

Feb 1, 2018, 11:22:22 AM2/1/18
to ded...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kieran,

I’m not too familiar with the installr package and the details of how it handles upgrades. As a first step I’d suggest installing the packages again

install.packages(c(‘rJava’,’iplots’,’JGR’,’Deducer’))

--

---

kieran...@monash.edu

Feb 1, 2018, 9:02:50 PM2/1/18
to Deducer
Hi Ian,

Apologies for the double post. I sent the first one through from a different google account, and thought it hadn't gone through.

I've sorted it out (reinstalling the packages didn't help), but I'll continue going through the process I used to figure it out -- in case anyone else has a similar issue in the future.

Anyway, I completely removed R, Rstudio, all my user space packages, .RDATA, .RHISTORY.
I Reinstalled R 3.4.3 - 64bit version (windows). Installed rJava, iplots, JGR and Deducer in that order.

So I loaded the R console stand alone (no gui) from a windows command prompt.
When running the R console directly, loading library(JGR) no longer locked up the console; but it threw an error which was quite useful:

===================
C:\Program Files\R\R-3.4.3\bin>R

R version 3.4.3 (2017-11-30) -- "Kite-Eating Tree"
Copyright (C) 2017 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)

Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

> library(JGR)
java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object

C:\Program Files\R\R-3.4.3\bin>

So it was an issue with Java VM initialisation. So it was some sort of issue with Java (JRE).
With that nugget of information, I did an update of Java to 1.8.0_161-b12.

And now library(JGR) launches! So something was wrong with Java - I don't know what, maybe there was a bug with the version I was using (I don't recall that now), or a path may have even been missing -- I don't know.. However it now works, and that satisfies me.

I hope this may be of use to someone in the future.

cheers,
Kieran