Domain-Driven Design Europe conference in 2016

Mathias Verraes

Apr 28, 2015, 12:02:00 PM4/28/15
to ddd...@googlegroups.com
Hi everybody :-)

I thought you might like to know we're organising a Domain-Driven Design conference in Brussels, Belgium, January 28-29, 2016.

Eric Evans, the author of the original DDD book, is our first confirmed speaker. We'll have two days of talks and workshops about modelling, design, analysis, CQRS/ES, architecture, visualization, and more!

We've currently got an Early Supporter ticket price going, EUR 375 instead of EUR 549, until the end of May. You're not only getting full access to two days of awesome talks and workshops, but you'd also be helping us launch a new conference :-)

cheers,
Mathias

ps If you have a user group or meetup, ping us at contact @ dddeurope.com to get some swag.

Mathias Verraes

Apr 29, 2015, 1:29:50 AM4/29/15
to Alexander Langer, ddd...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alexander,

The confusing thing is that the VAT field only appears after you've entered a company name. You have a choice of paying by invoice or online, so you can claim the VAT. Does that help?

best regards,
Mathias

On 28 April 2015 at 19:11, Alexander Langer <alexande...@redrainbow.de> wrote:
Hi Mathias,

very interesting.  Is there a chance to enter the VAT-ID during the
registration process such that European companies are not charged the
21% VAT?

Best,
Alexander

Greg Young

Apr 29, 2015, 4:04:53 AM4/29/15
to ddd...@googlegroups.com
Pretty sure you need to charge vat though I  would be interested in not having to charge vat

Cheers,

Greg

Studying for the Turing test

Idar Borlaug

Apr 29, 2015, 4:44:52 AM4/29/15
to ddd...@googlegroups.com
No need to charge vat from people outside EU. But all other conferences have to charge vat for people coming from EU countries. Its a pain :)

Greg Young

Apr 29, 2015, 5:03:46 AM4/29/15
to ddd...@googlegroups.com
Reference please? As I know vat is payable by all and to the country the event is held in

Alexander Langer

Apr 29, 2015, 7:08:24 AM4/29/15
to ddd...@googlegroups.com
I believe Greg is correct, you'll have to pay VAT because conferences
are a service provided at the venue country.

But under some circumstances you can claim the VAT afterwards as a
foreigner, and then it's generally better to have your VAT-Id printed on
the invoice (which is now).

On 29.04.2015 11:03, Greg Young wrote:
> Reference please? As I know vat is payable by all and to the country the
> event is held in
>
> On Wednesday, April 29, 2015, Idar Borlaug <idar.b...@gmail.com
> > dddeurope.com <http://dddeurope.com> to get some swag.
> >
> > --
> emails from it, send
> > an email to dddcqrs+u...@googlegroups.com
>
> > <mailto:dddcqrs+u...@googlegroups.com>.
>

> > For more options, visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>
> --
>

> --
> Studying for the Turing test
>
> --
>
> --
>

> --
> Studying for the Turing test

Greg Young

Apr 29, 2015, 7:12:11 AM4/29/15
to ddd...@googlegroups.com
And the award for most off topic thread of the year goes to ...

Nils Kilden-Pedersen

Apr 29, 2015, 2:59:28 PM4/29/15
to ddd...@googlegroups.com

If you sell goods to customers outside the EU, you do not charge VAT

http://europa.eu/youreurope/business/vat-customs/cross-border/index_en.htm

Nils Kilden-Pedersen

Apr 29, 2015, 3:03:48 PM4/29/15
to ddd...@googlegroups.com
I was probably too quick, since a conference is most likely not considered a "good", but a service, in which case is seems more ambiguous.

Greg Young

Apr 29, 2015, 5:39:44 PM4/29/15
to ddd...@googlegroups.com

This is my favourite dddcqrs thread ever!

In this one we are basically assured noone is an expert

@yreynhout

Apr 30, 2015, 3:19:35 AM4/30/15
to ddd...@googlegroups.com
Some reading material when you sell goods / services inside the EU to others inside the EU:
On getting your VAT back:

Oddly educational services could be considered exempt from VAT although, for a conference, that might be stretching it.

Studying for the Turing test

Idar Borlaug

Apr 30, 2015, 3:23:09 AM4/30/15
to ddd...@googlegroups.com
From what i can read, businesses outside EU can get a refund, but it costs way more in work and submitting forms than the refund will be.

Studying for the Turing test

Nicolò Pignatelli

Apr 30, 2015, 3:29:55 AM4/30/15
to ddd...@googlegroups.com
Ok, but how do I project the VatCharged event? :)))

Back to the thread topic: when can we expect some more details? Apart from buying the supporter ticket, which I'm gonna do, can we be of some help in a different way?

Mathias Verraes

Apr 30, 2015, 4:47:07 AM4/30/15
to ddd...@googlegroups.com
Re invoicing, I'm totally relying on the domain expertise of my co-organizers Shawn and Jeroen, who've been organizing conferences for four years.

They're also the ones advising me to announce details gradually, to keep some marketing buzz going :-) It will be awesome, and I'm having trouble not spilling the beans right away.

How to help out:
  • Buy a ticket! We have a no-questions-asked refund policy, so you can't go wrong really. Launching a conference is risky, the sooner we have a good indication of # attendees, the sooner we can start implementing our plans.
  • Tell everybody! If you organize/attend meetups, conferences, company picknicks,... let me know and we'll send over stickers. We should also have banners to put on your site soon.
  • Convince your company to sponsor the conference
  • Start writing down your ideas if you want to speak. We'll probably have a mix of invited speakers and submissions. We're also looking for hands-on two hour workshops.
Thanks all :-)

sh...@webengineers.io

Apr 30, 2015, 5:06:46 AM4/30/15
to ddd...@googlegroups.com
Ideally, we would not have to charge VAT at all to EU companies.

However, in the case of offline events, we are subject to the following rule:

" Admission to events, exhibitions and conferences for business customers is subject to VAT in the country where the event takes place."

We are not incredibly pleased with this rule and we have have consulted with a number of people about this. This requires that we charge VAT on ticket sales even to EU companies. However on the bright side, It is likely possible for you to deduct these costs in your own country.

If you have any further questions, you're welcome to contact me directly.

@yreynhout

Apr 30, 2015, 6:34:43 AM4/30/15
to ddd...@googlegroups.com
What is a bit odd, is that technically the conference is going to happen in Belgium (unless you haven't decided on Brussels yet), but the invoices are payable to a Dutch company. You've applied the correct Belgian VAT rate, but in essence, the Dutch government is going to receive Belgian VAT (o_O). Maybe I'm missing something ...

Mathias Verraes

May 10, 2015, 5:23:30 AM5/10/15
to ddd...@googlegroups.com
In case anyone is still reading this far into an exploration of the domain of European tax law:
Invoices are now payable to my Belgian company, and existing ticket buyers will get a credit note and a new invoice by email. That turned out to be the cleanest way to resolve it.