how to use dcmqr on same IP address as a running dcm4chee

William Dockery

Oct 19, 2014, 2:46:41 PM10/19/14
to dcm...@googlegroups.com

I have set up dcm4chee-2.17.2-psql on CentOS 6.2 box so that I can image-share with a colleague. I am using a VPN, with local LAN IP address 1.2.3.4 (sanitized) and local DICOM parameters:  AETitle DCM4CHEE, port 11112, host 1.2.3.4; and remote/peer LAN IP address 6.7.8.9 and remote DICOM parameters AETitle iPACS, port 104, host 6.7.8.9.  We have both designated these values in our DICOM archives.  Dicom Echo works, and I can send a study to my image sharing partner, and he can send studies to me.  I would also like the ability to query/retrieve from my partner's system.  My understanding is that dcm4chee-web3 does not offer query/retrieve functionality and that there are no immediate plans to add this functionality.  So I assume that I need to use dcm4che tools for this purpose.  I have installed the tools on the same CentOS box.  Now, when I run:

dcmqr -L DCM4CHEE@localhost:11112 iP...@6.7.8.9

I get the message, "ERROR: Failed to start server for receiving requested objects:Address already in use".  Does this mean that dcmqr cannot use the same AETitle as my archive?  Does it mean that I have to ask my partner to list another AETitle/port/host in his list of AE's?  Like DCMQR/104/1.2.3.4?  That seems too complicated.  Or do I need to stop the JBoss DCM4CHEE service before issuing the dcmqr command?  That is suboptimal also.

Any thoughts appreciated--

fleetwoodfc

Oct 20, 2014, 6:24:50 AM10/20/14
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
Command should be: dcmqr iP...@6.7.8.9:104 -cmove DCM4CHEE

William Dockery

Oct 20, 2014, 1:36:51 PM10/20/14
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply, but it seems that with the command

dcmqr iP...@6.7.8.9:104 -cmove DCM4CHEE

 the default calling AETitle is DCMQR and port 104, whereas my dcm4chee server, which exists on the same box as the dcm4che tools, is AETitle DCM4CHEE and port 11112; hence the command fails to establish an association.

08:38:01,234 INFO   - Association(1) initiated Socket[addr=/1.2.3.4,port=104,localport=34554]
08:38:01,236 INFO   - iPACS(1): A-ASSOCIATE-RQ iPACS << DCMQR
08:38:01,301 INFO   - iPACS(1) >> org.dcm4che2.net.pdu.AAssociateRJ: A-ASSOCIATE-RJ[result=1, source=1, reason=3]: permanent calling-AE-title-not-recognized
08:38:01,302 ERROR  - Failed to establish association:
org.dcm4che2.net.pdu.AAssociateRJ: A-ASSOCIATE-RJ[result=1, source=1, reason=3]: permanent calling-AE-title-not-recognized
    at org.dcm4che2.net.PDUDecoder.nextPDU(PDUDecoder.java:186)
    at org.dcm4che2.net.Association.run(Association.java:859)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
08:38:01,304 INFO   - iPACS(1): close Socket[addr=/1.2.3.4,port=104,localport=34554]

That is the reason that I had specified a calling AETitle with the command

dcmqr -L DCM4CHEE@localhost:11112 iP...@6.7.8.9

which does establish an association but generates the error message that I originally described.

Any thoughts how to fix the problem?

Thanks,

fleetwoodfc

Oct 21, 2014, 6:55:27 AM10/21/14
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
It does seem like you will 'have to ask my partner to list another AETitle/port/host in his list of AE's'. DCM4CHEE, by default, allows any calling AE to query but maybe your partners PACS does not - so you must explicitly add DCMQR.

William Dockery

Oct 21, 2014, 11:01:08 AM10/21/14
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
Could you clarify the expected behavior of DCM4CHEE and dcmqr in this context?  I think you are saying that DCM4CHEE by default should not complain if, while it is running on port 11112, the dcmqr command is issued on the same IP address with calling-AETitle = DCM4CHEE and port 11112.  But, in fact, the dcmqr command, when issued with the calling-AETitle option, does complain to me:  the error specifically says not that the remote partner has refused the association, but that the address (presumably my local DCM4CHEE process) is "already in use."  Is this expected behavior?

fleetwoodfc

Oct 21, 2014, 11:59:41 AM10/21/14
to dcm...@googlegroups.com
If you use the -L option then you are telling dcmqr to create a DICOM service (Store SCP) with AE DCM4CHEE listening on port 11112. In your setup you already have one of these so you get the 'Address already in use' error. To change the calling AE of dcmqr use the -device option.