How can I make a contribution to DC.js?

Steven Natera

Mar 19, 2015, 12:42:00 AM3/19/15
to dc-js-us...@googlegroups.com
I was wondering if I would contribute my dashboard to the community as another example to add to the github wiki page?

I working on an analytics dashboard for a pharmaceutical startup that will use many of the charts, graphs, and features of the DC.js library.

If I can contribute, could someone guide me through it a bit. I read the CONTRIBUTING.md file and am now trying to write test cases with jasmine for my javascript (which is kind of bewildering since I'm new to testing and open source contribution. Anyone care to shoot any general pointers my way?).

Should I even have to write tests since I am only showcasing already tested code from the library?

In a few weeks I will implement a search across cross filter and the choropleth map (which I'm having a hard time doing because I can't find good enough examples with javascript that is viewable).

Attached are photos of the dashboard I made.
Thank you everyone!

Dashboard v1-lower.png
Dashboard v1-upper.png

Gordon Woodhull

Mar 19, 2015, 6:22:41 AM3/19/15
to dc-js-us...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steven,

It's not necessary to write tests in order to get listed on the examples page. Just send a link when it's ready!

Cheers,
Gordon
<Dashboard v1-lower.png>
<Dashboard v1-upper.png>

Blair Nilsson

Apr 7, 2015, 12:51:39 AM4/7/15
to dc-js-us...@googlegroups.com
Talking about contributions, the sunburst chart is ready - should I build a pull request for dc.js? or is now a bad time for adding charts? ( I should get my github version up to date as well.... )

Gordon Woodhull

Apr 7, 2015, 12:57:39 AM4/7/15
to dc-js-us...@googlegroups.com
Yes, this is a great time to merge new charts to develop for version 2.1. Please make a PR. Thanks!

Ken Russell

Apr 8, 2015, 3:37:50 AM4/8/15
to dc-js-us...@googlegroups.com
Would love to see stacked row charts and grouped row charts. Are they being worked on?

Blair Nilsson

Apr 8, 2015, 3:38:07 AM4/8/15
to dc-js-us...@googlegroups.com
done!

Once this is in place, I have 2 more charts for you :) (treemap and a circle pack layout chart (do you have a good name for those?)).

The code isn't very different from the sunburst code, and reuses the hierarchy code, and filter system :)