Re: [dc.js users] Issues with iframes and content management systems

Gordon Woodhull

May 23, 2016, 11:35:10 PM5/23/16
to dc-js-us...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeff,

I really doubt that your problem has to do with iframes or your CMS. The date parsing sounds like a more likely culprit. But I could be wrong.

The first step in troubleshooting a dc.js app is always to set a breakpoint (or a console.log) after you've created your crossfilter objects but before you initialize your charts. Print the result of group.all() for each chart. This is what dc.js will use to fetch its data.

From what you described, this data will almost certainly look wrong at this point. Hopefully it will give you a better clue what exactly is going wrong, if you have to examine your input data or your reduce functions, etc.

So that's my general advice for troubleshooting. I can't really go into more detail without knowing more, but if you can point to a running example I'd be willing to take a quick look.

How it helps, and good luck!
Gordon

On May 22, 2016, at 8:53 PM, Jeff Lean <jrl3...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi guys,

I'm developing a dc.js based product for work and I have run into a bit of a problem. I'm hoping someone can give me an idea of what may be causing it.

My project uses a tsv with around 330k rows and 6 columns. I have constructed 4 rowcharts and a linechart. The linechart is a timeseries of all the data and the rowcharts show just the last month of data. The whole page performs as expected when running on my local machine, but when the index.html is placed on a webpage at work the aggregate values (in this case spend figures) get screwed up. The date filtering is also no longer working. The original, and correct, version uses the last month in the data for each rowchart (in this case it is March) but when deployed to the work environment the last date is January.

Initially I thought it was an issue with MS Excel reformatting my date data so the date parser was not interpreting correctly, then I tried changing the flat file format from csv to tsv, but nothing has worked so far.

I should also say that the environment that the page is being deployed to uses iframes and a content management system.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue before?

I can't really post any indicative code because my code is working locally and I can't exactly reproduce the CMS code on a jsfiddle. I'm just looking for general troubleshooting tips here.

Cheers