Should annotated tutorial fail when used with stable release?

Mike Zawitkowski

May 9, 2016, 7:45:35 PM5/9/16
to dc-js user group

I apologize in advance if this is not the best forum where I should share this question/potential issue, but after reviewing the guidelines for contributing this seemed the best place to start.

The short version of my question: Is the annotated tutorial for the nasdaq example (https://dc-js.github.io/dc.js/docs/stock.html) compatible with the stable v1.7.5 version of the code, or is that javascript code and the available methods only compatible with the more cutting edge beta?

The reason I ask is because I used the annotated tutorial to build a dashboard (which is live here: http://mikezawitkowski.github.io/hardwareDemo/), ran into some problems (which I shared here on stackoverflow: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/37061777), and noticed that I had used the bleeding edge version 2.1.0-dev. I then tried to test my code on the stable version and I'm running into a new and very different batch of errors. For example, all of the occurrences of .alwaysUseRounding() applied to my dc.barChart objects are throwing an error as unrecognized, so I commented those out, and now the dc.rowChart function is alerting me that dayOfWeekChart.ordinalColors() is not a recognized function.

Before I proceed, I thought I'd better check and ask if this is expected behavior (as in I shouldn't expect the annotated tutorial's code to work with the stable release version, only the development version), and also how to best proceed...

Thanks for making such a great library, and also thanks in advance for any helpful tips you can share!

Thanks again,

/mz

Gordon Woodhull

May 9, 2016, 9:02:24 PM5/9/16
to dc-js-us...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike -

Yes, all questions and discussion about dc.js (and crossfilter) are welcome here. Stack Overflow is best for support questions and github is best for bug reports and feature requests.

This question is sort of in between.

The site is running the latest 2.0 beta, including the annotated stock example. (In 1.7.* the stock example was just a Javascript file [1].)

dc.js has been in endless beta for about 2 years since I took over maintainership. So the 2.0 betas might be more reliable in some ways than 1.7.*, and there are certainly a ton more features — but there are also a few regressions, one of which is so glaring that I have held off releasing 2.0 officially until it's fixed.

Which will be soon.

So I recommend using the betas, but if that bug in the area chart transitions on the main page [2] bothers you enough, then use 1.7.*, which is unmaintained except for occasional "this won't even build" fixes. [3]

Cheers
Gordon

[3] due to the well-known proliferation of unstable javascript build/module systems

P.S. this thread is also this issue : https://github.com/dc-js/dc.js/issues/1060

Mike Zawitkowski

May 10, 2016, 12:21:27 AM5/10/16
to dc-js user group
Hi Gordon -

Aha! This is excellent. I really appreciate this write up.

In particular, your explanation of the state of stability and age of the 2.0 beta vs the 1.7.* versions is extremely helpful. I think I'll stick with the later 2.0 version, that makes more sense.

Also, I trust you're the same Gordon that's been in dialog with me on Stackoverflow question, and for that I'm doubly appreciative!

Thank you so much!

/mz