"Orwellian America? Government transparency and personal privacy in the digital age" at DC Public Library

Kevin Cole

Jan 6, 2015, 9:22:17 PM1/6/15
to Code for DC, Arlington-Co...@meetup.com, Jeff Elkner
DCPL continues to show off its geek cred, though I'm not certain about
calling it a "celebration" as http://dclibrary.org/1984 puts it.

This morning's Washington Post Express "Page Three" section (found on
page 3, logically enough) has this tidbit:

| BEYOND BOOKS
| D.C. library to livestream 11-hour reading of "1984"
|
| Starting January 21, the D.C. Public Library is presenting 10-day series
| [of events titled "Orwellian America? Government Transparency and
| Personal Privacy in the Digital Age". Among the offerings:
|
| * A live-streamed 11-hour marathon reading of George Orwell's "1984"
| * A screening of Frontline's "United States of Secrets, Part 1"
| * A workshop on TOR, software for anonymously surfing the Web.

Now, if we can get them to replace the OS's on their computers with
HacDC's Byzantium (http://project-byzantium.org/ and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantium_%28Linux_distribution%29) --
or TAILS (https://tails.boum.org/ and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tails_%28operating_system%29) or... ;-)