New America Job Opening - Web Developer

jac...@newamerica.org

Jul 12, 2016, 10:41:50 AM7/12/16
to Code for DC
Hi Everyone,

New America is currently looking for a Web Developer to join our growing team!  To learn more about the work we do, visit https://www.newamerica.org/

Applications can be submitted through the application form found here:

Full Stack Web Developer

Location: Washington, DC

Department: Communications

Type: Full Time

Min. Experience: Experienced

As an ideas laboratory operating at the intersection of public policy and technology, New America is a source of rich original research on everything from drones toeducation policy. We’re looking for full stack web developer eager to help us build amazing online experiences that communicate our groundbreaking policy work and data analysis, using cutting-edge technologies and frameworks.

This is a full-time position based in our brand new Washington DC offices off Lafayette Square, a block away from the White House. This position is based within the organization’s Communications department, as part of a small but growing web development team that owns our publishing platform, data visualizations, and a variety of web projects.

The ideal candidate has some experience and a strong interest in learning both front- and back-end development and values working on projects that help to better inform communities and policymakers. Core languages and technologies used across our web platforms include HTML, CSS/SASS, Javascript, Python, Django, and PostgreSQL. Knowledge of at least some of these tools would be highly beneficial.

As an open policy institution, all of our work is released under creative commons licensing, so our web developer will be able to contribute to open source projects, build their portfolio, and work in the open.

The successful candidate for this position will be joining an organization with some of America’s leading technologists, where issues like Internet governance, surveillance, network neutrality, and broadband access are frequently discussed.

Core Responsibilities:

Contribute to and help lead front-end and back-end development projects and features of our digital properties, including our main website, Intranet, data visualizations, and various one-off projects.
Help to manage deployment using effective DevOps principles and tools, such as Heroku, TravisCI, and AWS.

Work closely with the web development team, policy programs, and other departments to ensure that our web projects effectively communicate our diverse areas of research.

Qualifications:

Candidates for this position should have the following:

  • Experience with MVC frameworks such as Django.
  • Knowledge of relational databases - we primarily use PostGreSQL.
  • Experience with object oriented programming languages like Python
  • Experience writing well organized, semantic HTML, CSS/SASS, and Javascript/jQuery code
  • Familiarity with JavaScript frameworks such as Node, React, Backbone, or Angular
  • Knowledge of general software engineering principles as they apply to web projects, including Github best practices, code review, testing and refactoring techniques.
  • Great work ethic, approachability, eagerness to work in a collaborative environment.

Nice-to-haves (not required, but please highlight any of your interest areas in the application):

  • Interest in creating interactive data visualizations, maps, and charts. Familiarity with client-side visualization libraries such as d3 or Leaflet would be helpful but is not essential.
  • Understanding of graphic design principles and familiarity with design software such as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop or Sketch.

Potential Learning Opportunities:

  • Working within a complex open source web application infrastructure
  • Front-End technologies: SASS, Javascript, Webpack
  • Back-End technologies: Python, Django, Wagtail CMS
  • Deployment with AWS, Heroku
  • Data visualization techniques and libraries
  • Technical research (reference documentation, Stack Overflow, GitHub, etc.)
  • Database & Data Modeling (PostgreSQL / ElasticSearch)

Application Process:

Submit a cover letter and resume. We highly recommend including projects or code samples in the application (you can link to Github or add an attachment to the application). Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, so early submissions(by Friday, July 22, 2016) are recommended.

New America is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce at all levels of the organization, thereby creating a culture that allows us to better serve our clientele, our employees, and our communities. We value and encourage the contributions of our employees and strive to create an environment where everyone can reach their full potential and drive outstanding results. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.