Fwd: [liberationtech-jobs] Fwd: Any students interested in all-expenses paid trip to Palestine this summer?

Deborah Bey

Mar 12, 2015, 5:53:05 PM3/12/15
to hearm...@googlegroups.com, dc-cfa-...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sam King <s...@samking.org>
Date: Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 3:11 PM
Subject: [liberationtech-jobs] Fwd: Any students interested in all-expenses paid trip to Palestine this summer?
To: Code the Change Jobs <code-the-c...@googlegroups.com>, Liberation Technology Jobs <liberatio...@lists.stanford.edu>, service4sci_eng <service...@lists.stanford.edu>, SL-Jobs <sl-...@cs.stanford.edu>
Cc: Afeef Ahmed <afeef...@gmail.com>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Afeef Ahmed <afeef...@gmail.com>

Hi Code the Change community!

About me: I graduated from Stanford in 2010 and am currently working with a non-profitThe Portland Trust.

Background:  The Portland Trust has the ambitious goal of helping to resolve the Palestinian-Israeli conflict through private sector economic development.  In that vein, they worked with McKinsey to create this overarching economic plan for the Palestinian private sector (http://www.portlandtrust.org/sites/default/files/pubs/beyond_aid_-_a_palestinian_private_sector_initiative_for_investment_growth_and_employment.pdf <-- it's very long)

Code for Palestine: The Portland Trust is partnering with Paltel (largest private company in Palestine) to launch an initiative called Code for Palestine (CFP).  There will ultimately be many facets of CFP, but the first part will be this three week coding summer camp in Jericho (West Bank) this August.  The camp will have 20 promising Palestinian HS students interested in entrepreneurship/engineering careers, along with some advisers from Paltel.

What we're looking for: Five students studying Computer Science or related majors, or simply with coding knowledge, who want to spend an all expenses-paid month in Jericho living amongst these Palestinian campers, serving as their tutors for the month.  The curriculum will be largely created by Paltel, but we're hoping to get some bright young minds - particularly those with an interest in the Middle East or economic development to impart some of their coding knowledge upon these HS kids.  Volunteers will also be taken on tours around the West Bank.

If interested:  Please email myself (afeef...@gmail.com) for additional details. Also feel free to forward to other students/groups that you think may be interested.

Best,
Afeef

--
Afeef M. Ahmed
(304) 550-8606

--
Too many emails? Unsubscribe, change to digest, or change password by emailing moderator at comp...@stanford.edu or changing your settings at https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/liberationtech-jobs

--
deborah bey
@geekyblkgirl