New tool: A simple web interface for geocoding addresses in a file

evonfr...@gmail.com

May 4, 2015, 12:17:49 AM5/4/15
to dc-cfa-...@googlegroups.com

I (re)built a straightforward web interface for geocoding addresses in a CSV (or other delimited text file) and automatically visualizing the results on a map: https://emanuelfeld.github.io/geocoder/

Just upload your file, selected the address column(s), and give it a go. The end result is a file with additional latitude and longitude attributes, available in CSV and GeoJSON formats.

Most GIS applications are overkill for geocoding and other options don't allow for a quick visual sanity check of the results, hence this tool.

At the moment, I'm plugging into Google's geocoding API, which means a 2,500 address limit per IP, per day. More information available here: https://emanuelfeld.github.io/geocoder/about

If you find it useful for your Code for DC project (or otherwise) or wish it had some additional feature, please do let me know!

Emanuel Feld

Note: I used to have this up as an RShiny app, but RStudio kept shutting it down for overuse and, anyhow, now it's much more functional.