1.5 Million Slavery Era Documents Will Be Digitized, Helping African Americans to Learn About Their Lost Ancestors

kelli shewmaker

Nov 17, 2015, 7:42:01 PM11/17/15
to dc-cfa-...@googlegroups.com
I thought some of you might be interested in this project--to use it, to see how they're doing it, but there are also opportunities to volunteer, too.

Tim Lee

Nov 19, 2015, 2:48:10 PM11/19/15
to Code for DC
Wow! Definitely worth checking out. Thanks!

Dec

Jul 12, 2016, 10:16:22 PM7/12/16
to Code for DC
Digitizing slave-era documents right now is not a good idea. I am reacting to the 1.5 million records collected by the Freedmen’s Bureau about slave-era stories that our being digitized by The Smithsonian, The National Archives; The Afro-American Historical and Genealogical Society, The California African American Museum and FamilySearch. Whether, we like it or not, the operation to digitize slave-era records of this magnitude is likely the beginning of a trend of digitizing slave-era information globally. There is something the world should know and prepare for if this must happen. Digitization does help to keep information secure but it also does something else. It proliferates it. Nothing is wrong with this, unless where the information is false. As a by stander watching the process unfold it probably would be more accurate to title this article: why proliferate inaccurate data? Truth deserves to be sought for first and then digitized. Some critical details on the slave trade era may have been rewritten for the convenience of some powerful entity or to protect a certain class of people. I don't know but it would be needful to document truth 1st before digitization. I am pretty sure, you are already wondering about what I am talking about. Please read my article on the African Caribbean Trade website at https://www.africaribtraders.com/blog/slave/

Luc Hale

Jul 22, 2016, 11:07:36 AM7/22/16
to Code for DC