Metro disruptions data

John Muyskens

Apr 11, 2016, 10:50:44 PM4/11/16
to Code for DC
Hi,

I noticed that the data available at this page http://www.opendatadc.org/dataset/wmata-disruption-reports hasn't been updated in a while, contrary to what the page implies.

Are there any plans to resume maintaining the data?

It also looks like there is no license on the data. It would be nice if there was a license on the data so we can know how the author intends it to be used and what rights they reserve, if any.

Finally, I would be interested in getting my hands on the code so I can run it myself or potentially contribute to the project myself. I couldn't find a link to a code repository from that page.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

I'd like to see a comprehensive and accurate structured dataset of Metro disruptions continue to be compiled, and I'm willing to help out if needed.

Jeremy Koulish

Apr 11, 2016, 11:30:24 PM4/11/16
to John Muyskens, Code for DC
Didn't WMATA just have a hacknight? Who was the point person inside the agency? Sounds like they could use some help in that open data mission. Maybe we can take the burden of maintaining that dataset off their hands?

We are drowning in information, while starving for wisdom. The world henceforth will be run by synthesizers, people able to put together the right information at the right time, think critically about it, and make important choices wisely.
-E.O. Wilson

Andrew Schmadel

Apr 12, 2016, 4:25:59 PM4/12/16
to Jeremy Koulish, John Muyskens, Code for DC
Hey folks,

Didn't expect to see this pop up again.  My server that used to run the scraper died a while ago, and I sort of let this dataset fall into neglect.

These data sets were created by scraping pages off of Metro's website -- I wasn't eager to release the source code because it was kind of messy, didn't want to encourage others to slam WMATA's servers, and wasn't ready to "bless" this dataset as a reliable or accurate source of data.

I'll put this on my "rainy day project" list, and see if I can revive the dataset soon.

WMATA wasn't engaging in developer outreach when I first wrote the scraper, so they may be able to help us by providing a more reliable source for this data, or providing some insight into how we can license the dataset.  If somebody wants to take charge of this (particularly the licensing aspect), I would graciously accept their assistance.

~Andrew

Andrew Schmadel
sch...@gmail.com