Some Helpful Programming-related Links

Robert Holder

Mar 31, 2012, 7:17:46 PM3/31/12
to dblmg-pr...@googlegroups.com
Ruby:

Bash:
http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/  (this last one looks pretty comprehensive, but it's titled "advanced" so i put it last)

Java:
http://www.java2s.com/Tutorial/Java/CatalogJava.htm  (looks nice and comprehensive!)

C++:
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/beginner/

IDEs

Qt Creator:  If you do play around with the FeetWetCoding stuff, we use the Qt Creator IDE, which is included in the downloadable Qt SDK.  Instructions are available at http://feetwetcoding.com, however our material is different from what Kevin will be covering, and you may not want to use Qt Creator for the class.  I would reckon most people will be using either Eclipse or Netbeans, so you might want to play around with them and see if you can get comfortable with them, before the next class.  I will give a small chocolate bar to anyone who has a "Hello World!" program running from within the Eclipse or Netbeans IDEs next saturday, and if it says "ROBERT AND JANICE ARE TEH RULEXXOR", you will get a larger chocolate bar.  :-D

You can also edit C programs from the command line using vim, notepad++ or whatever your favorite text editor is, and then compile them from the command line using gcc:

...but IDEs give you a nice environment to work in, and it's worth taking the time to try to get comfortable with an IDE.

There is also an excellent site for asking programming language questions on StackOverflow:
...however, try to search for what your question is about before posting a new question.  Many questions have already been answered, and the stackoverflow folks can be a little prickly about their rules and stuff.  Also, read this before posting on stackoverflow, some of the people there can be a little bitey:

How to ask technical questions:  http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Finally, if you have questions, I will try to help if I can.  If you see me on google+ chat (there will be a green dot or camera icon next to my name in the list of people on the left side of the screen, IF you have circled me, AND I'm online and available for chat)  just hit me up on google text or video chat and if I'm available I will try to help out.

Regards,
Robert

Robert Holder

Mar 31, 2012, 7:25:59 PM3/31/12
to dblmg-pr...@googlegroups.com
OH YEAH, please don't be intimidated by all the links!  There is a lot to learn, and in the beginning it can be very overwhelming, but you will find that if you keep at it, a little work here, a little work there, you will make progress, and a day will come soon where things will start to click, and you will begin to feel more comfortable!

It can seem overwhelming in the beginning though, but that's natural, so please don't feel discouraged.  :-)

--r

Robert Holder

Mar 31, 2012, 7:34:24 PM3/31/12
to dblmg-pr...@googlegroups.com
hm, i posted the links to the wrong locations in the C++ section.  Here is what I meant to post:

C++:
http://cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp (this one is pretty dry, so i will try to find some friendlier material)

Finally, C++ is a "superset" of C, that is, C++ has all the language elements in it that C has, and then some extra stuff.  So you can learn much of the C fundamentals by reading those C++ pages above, but here is a page that is focused on C itself.  According to what I understood Kevin to say, in the next week or so, we will be writing in BASH and C, so here is some info about C: