Need to use a PC with a PCI-Express x16 slot for a few minutes and anyone want some ECC pc2-5300?

Rick B

Feb 21, 2015, 11:41:11 AM2/21/15
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying to burn a new BIOS to an Nvidia card and in order to do that I need to use a PC with a PCI-Express x16 slot. The computer also needs to have a 6 pin power cable available to plug into the card. I only have a laptop and an old Mac. Anybody have one I could use for a few minutes? What I would need to do is listed out below.

1. Create a bootable DOS usb drive in Windows
2. Shut down the computer and install the video card
3. Boot from the DOS usb
4. Plug a different usb into the computer that contains the flashing utility and BIOS
5. Flash the video card and hope that it works
6. Remove the video card and reinstall any previous PCI-Express card

I have 16gb (8x2gb) of ecc pc2-5300 that I have no use for. Anyone want some? I don't know if any of the Diode's servers are short of RAM or is they use pc2-5300...

Brent Kerlin

Feb 21, 2015, 11:43:39 AM2/21/15
to dayton...@googlegroups.com

I'm sure I can find a PC you can use.

Jay J. Krull

Feb 21, 2015, 12:19:47 PM2/21/15
to dayton...@googlegroups.com

Rick, see if the Dell PC I have in my storage cube would work for you.

Rick B

Feb 21, 2015, 1:56:26 PM2/21/15
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
J, the Dell in your cube won't work. No PCI-E slot. Thanks Brent, I'll shoot you an email.

Rick B

Feb 28, 2015, 10:22:56 PM2/28/15
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Update: I tried the card out in the Mac with the new ROM. In Linux, the card now outputs some garbled video. Believe it or not, this is actually an improvement. I read that I need to edit the device ID in the card's ROM in order for the card to be properly recognized by Open Firmware. Once I edit the ROM I'm going to have to burn the ROM to the card again :/

J.J.

Mar 1, 2015, 7:14:13 AM3/1/15
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Rick, let me know when you're ready and I'll bring the system box back for the update.

JJ

J.J.

Mar 6, 2015, 1:40:45 PM3/6/15
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Rick -

Do you require the services of my computer this Saturday, the 7th, for your video card updating?

JJ

Rick B

Mar 6, 2015, 5:47:34 PM3/6/15
to dayton...@googlegroups.com

That would be great.

Thanks,
Rick

J.J.

Mar 7, 2015, 10:25:43 AM3/7/15
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
What time will you be there?  I'm committed to be there 3 - 6, but figure you'd want to do your things before the organizing party.  I can be there earlier.

JJ

Rick B

Mar 7, 2015, 1:52:52 PM3/7/15
to dayton...@googlegroups.com

I'm sick and won't be able to make it today. Hopefully this won't cause you any hassle. Sorry for the late notice. I was hoping I would feel better by 3:00.

Rick

On Mar 7, 2015 10:25 AM, "J.J." <jjk...@gmail.com> wrote:
What time will you be there?  I'm committed to be there 3 - 6, but figure you'd want to do your things before the organizing party.  I can be there earlier.

JJ

Jay J. Krull

Mar 7, 2015, 2:46:10 PM3/7/15
to dayton...@googlegroups.com

Drat!  Well, I am here, but I'm testing the memory you had and will flash the BIOS while I'm at it.  So, no problem.  Get well!