Possible project: The Martin Jetpack

Andrew Wendling

Mar 23, 2015, 11:18:10 AM3/23/15
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Anyone want try to tackle making one of these in the next year or two?

Some magnesium castings could help it out.

Andrew Wendling

Mar 23, 2015, 11:19:01 AM3/23/15
to dayton...@googlegroups.com

Rick B

Mar 23, 2015, 12:34:47 PM3/23/15
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Building one would be fun. Flying one that we built? Nope.

Joseph Mckibben

Mar 23, 2015, 12:44:49 PM3/23/15
to Dayton Diode

Lol. Yeah maybe we should make it unmanned at first. And stand really far way.

Brent Kerlin

Mar 23, 2015, 12:48:15 PM3/23/15
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
...and have multiple videos running for the Youtubes.
Thanks,
Brent S. Kerlin

-= CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: =-
This electronic transmission, including all attachments, is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorized to receive it. It may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by responding to this email and then deleting it, including all attachments, without copying, distributing or disclosing same.

Eoin Ross

Mar 24, 2015, 11:07:21 AM3/24/15
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Ahh ya pansy!!
Mind you ... thats not a bad thing some times right?

There's old pilots, there's bold pilots... there's no bold, old pilots.

Joseph Mckibben

Mar 24, 2015, 1:27:44 PM3/24/15
to Dayton Diode
Yeah I was thinking small scale first would be the way to go.

Andrew Wendling

Mar 24, 2015, 7:30:23 PM3/24/15
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
I think what intrigues me the most about this are the pros and cons between electric and internal combustion. Why was gas chosen?

My guesses -

Electric Pros:
Amazing torque

Electric Cons:
heavy battery
Static weight as fuel is used

Gas Engine Pros:
Less overall weight vs a battery
Lightens in weight during operation

Gas Engine Cons:
Tougher to control via an arduino?
Heat generated

......and much more I don't know.

Andrew Wendling

Mar 24, 2015, 7:38:01 PM3/24/15
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
For the number crunchers:

Electric Motorcycle Specs:

The V4 Engine designed by Martin Jetpack

Rick Burner

Mar 24, 2015, 10:11:53 PM3/24/15
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
That's a kick a$$ motorcycle. I would rather build the motorcycle. I could actually ride it without needing a new pair of pants.

Rick

Ken Bailey

Mar 24, 2015, 10:17:15 PM3/24/15
to dayton...@googlegroups.com

Probably because there is an insane amount of energy potential in liquid fuel. Even with the most advanced lipo technology, gas contains a multitude higher energy and power density. And if your goal is lift, weight is an important factor. That's my guess.

Eoin Ross

Mar 25, 2015, 11:20:50 AM3/25/15
to dayton...@googlegroups.com

I was in total agreement with you Ken until I looked at these numbers...
 Source
Specific energy (MJ/kg)     Energy density (MJ/L)
LiPo batteries                               100–265                           250–730
LPG (including Propane / Butane)       46.4                                 26
Jet fuel (Kerosene)                             46                                    37.4
Gasoline (petrol)                                 44.4                                 32.4

http://www.barnardmicrosystems.com/UAV/engines/batteries.html

Throw into this internal combustion engines are only ~25% thermally efficient vs electric motors being better than 80% and this looks even worse.

A main reason electric motors vs nitro motors are used in multirotors are ease of control and 'instant' response. There is a new multirotor design out there that looks like it could run on an ICE... http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/stingray-500-a-collective-pitch-multirotor

My suspicions are now on the ability to refuel in minutes vs recharging, and availability of fuel are the main reasons.

Eoin.

Eoin Ross

Mar 25, 2015, 11:32:00 AM3/25/15
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
One thing I didn't look at here is power to weight ratio for the drive train!

I can almost lift a 55HP 1300cc ICE, Two can do it pretty easily.

50/55HP electric motors are around 300 lb
https://www.inverterdrive.com/group/Motors-DC/40kW-DC-Motor-TT-Electric-2250RPM-54HP-shunt/default.aspx

robbytow...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2015, 12:06:24 PM3/25/15
to dayton...@googlegroups.com

Joseph Mckibben

Mar 25, 2015, 12:12:13 PM3/25/15
to Dayton Diode

Eoin Ross

Mar 25, 2015, 12:43:42 PM3/25/15
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
One column is per kilogram, and the other per litre
I might have the LiPo line swapped too - the figures came from two different sources

A table on here has them all now I take another look...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_density

Storage material
Specific energy (MJ/kg) Energy density (MJ/L)
methane or natural gas 55.5 0.0364
Diesel / Fuel oil 48 35.8
LPG (including Propane / Butane) 46.4 26
Jet fuel (Kerosene) 46 37.4
Gasoline (petrol) 44.4 32.4
Ethanol fuel (E100) 26.4 20.9
Methanol fuel (M100) 19.7 15.6
Lithium battery (non-rechargeable) 1.8 4.32
Lithium-ion battery 0.36[4]–0.875 0.9–2.63

Ken Bailey

Mar 25, 2015, 12:45:26 PM3/25/15
to dayton...@googlegroups.com

I was wondering. I didn't think they had advanced battery technology that quickly.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dayton Diode" group.

Eoin Ross

Mar 25, 2015, 12:47:51 PM3/25/15
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Rookie mistake ... anytime you get something that totally contradicts what you think you've heard - take another look! [Smack forehead]

Eoin

Andrew Wendling

Mar 25, 2015, 1:29:10 PM3/25/15
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Inline image 1

- Says the Honeywell Aerospace Engineer

Oh yeah, FYI, I've been talking about DD to my engineering contacts. Some of them want to meet the group.

Andrew J. Wendling
Manufacturing Engineer
Spektracast Engineering and Prototyping LLC
660 Milburn Ave.
Dayton, Ohio 45404
Phone: (937) 239-0177

Joseph Mckibben

Mar 25, 2015, 1:50:58 PM3/25/15
to Dayton Diode

A lot of this depends on how long you really want this to fly though.

Joseph Mckibben

Mar 25, 2015, 2:10:40 PM3/25/15
to Dayton Diode