Fire Department Lieutenant to visit w/in ~30 days

Andrew Wendling

Aug 5, 2015, 1:19:04 PM8/5/15
to Dayton Diode
Hey All,

We'll be having a fire safety inspection of the facility within 30 days or so. Lieutenant Phillips was in contact with me yesterday and is determining inspection criteria before a date is set. The transition state that Spektracast is in regarding not yet being in operation is a factor in this.

A checklist of things to consider giving attention to include:

Housing of any electrical wiring in good shape / in existence
3 feet of clearance from any electrical boxes
Status of fire extinguishers (these need to be certified / inspected at set intervals correct?)
Battery status of exit signs / exit lights that activate when power goes out

Please reply to this thread with any other items we need to consider / investigate.

Thanks to those who have already given suggestions and those who have input yet to give.

Regards,
Andrew

J.J.

Aug 5, 2015, 2:31:17 PM8/5/15
to Dayton Diode
Here's what I can contribute -

* EXIT sign over the via between the two industrial areas (Diode/SpectraCast) inoperative.  Might just be burned-out light bulbs, but I haven't yet figured how to get to them.  The backup battery is suspect.
* EXIT sign over the Diode entrance is operative, but the battery provides only about 1 minute of backup.  Battery needs to be replaced.
* EXIT sign over the SpectraCast entrance is operative.  I have not tested the backup endurance.
* I noticed that the fire extinguisher by the sink in the industrial area was last inspected in 2010. It still shows in the "GOOD" range. I am thinking these need to be inspected annually.

Also, we need to evaluate the operational status of the existing smoke & fire detectors.  I doubt the inspector would approve of them dangling by their wires from the ceiling.

JJ

J.J.

Aug 16, 2015, 11:52:35 PM8/16/15
to Dayton Diode
UPDATE 16 AUGUST -

The EXIT sign over the via between the two industrial areas has been removed.  The bulbs were indeed burned out (burned up would be more accurate), and obviously the battery backup is not working.  As of now, our thinking (Brian, JJ, Andrew) is that we not replace the sign unless so instructed after the fire inspection.  In the mean time the electrical service box that held the sign has had the hot wires capped and a cover placed over the box.