Dayton Wingmasters

Andrew Wendling

May 20, 2015, 10:03:17 AM5/20/15
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Anyone interested in RC planes and drones?

http://www.wingmasters.org/index.html

I think diodians and wingmasters could make a good team.

As far as I can tell.. They don't have a community workshop.. aka a makerspace?

Joseph Mckibben

May 20, 2015, 10:08:18 AM5/20/15
to Dayton Diode

I am interested in it. Just have to have time money to work on it lol.

Yeah I've been to there field a couple times, watched some of there planes fly. There could possibly be some collaboration.

J. Simmons

May 20, 2015, 10:11:35 AM5/20/15
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
I used to fly RC planes and I have gone to one or two wingmasters meetings (long ago).  I would love to see Diode and Wingmasters team up.  Note, many members probably have their own workspace at home (like how Ham Radio folks already have their own shacks/workspaces).  This is not a reason to not contact them, just a clarification that their needs may be slightly different from ours.  If that turns out to be the case, we should ask them how else we could support them...  maybe they need a meeting space or help with events or just more people in the hobby.

Just my $0.02 worth,

 -J

Andrew Wendling

May 26, 2015, 4:03:22 PM5/26/15
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Would anyone be interested in making a showing at their Wednesday night event with me this week?

Joseph Mckibben

May 27, 2015, 2:04:47 PM5/27/15
to Dayton Diode

I can't Andrew. Running Robo-Wednesday tonight.

On May 26, 2015 4:03 PM, "Andrew Wendling" <wend...@gmail.com> wrote:
Would anyone be interested in making a showing at their Wednesday night event with me this week?

Rick B

May 27, 2015, 6:51:15 PM5/27/15
to dayton...@googlegroups.com

I'd like to go, but I'm busy tonight.

Rick

Andrew Wendling

May 28, 2015, 8:46:24 AM5/28/15
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Joe Saylor, Dayton Wingmaster's President has asked that we introduce ourselves at their next open house event. He agreed that there are some attractive things about wingmaster members having access to a workspace and 3D printed parts. Thursday of next week at the airfield is their open house. A flyer or handout with information would be appreciated.

From their website:

Open House

June 4th, 2015

Come join the Dayton Wingmasters in their annual OPEN HOUSE FUN FLY On June 4th, 2015 The Dayton Wingmasters will be a Open House Fun Fly, there will be food and drinks provided along with raffle prizes and of course Flying. We even squeeze in the Monthly Meeting During the event.

Event Starts at 6:00PM

Location:
1301 E. Siebenthaler Ave.
Dayton, Ohio 45414

OPEN TO EVERYONE, Must have current AMA to Fly Solo

From my visit yesterday:

This is Joe Saylor with his Hexacopter.

It can carry a camera, provide real time video feed back to an iPad, uses gps navigation, and has a number of other cool sensors that prevent it from crashing if a motor fails.

Andrew Wendling

Jun 4, 2015, 12:26:42 PM6/4/15
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Is anyone interested in making a showing with me tonight?

Joseph Mckibben

Jun 4, 2015, 12:44:24 PM6/4/15
to dayton...@googlegroups.com

Not able to make it Andrew

J. Simmons

Jun 4, 2015, 4:06:44 PM6/4/15
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
I'd love to, but I have a couple of meetings tonight.  Let us know how it goes.

 -J

Andrew Wendling

Jun 5, 2015, 10:02:04 AM6/5/15
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
They had a turnout of maybe 70 people throughout the evening. 50 people present during the meeting when I was introduced.

My assessment of the group would be that of the ~70 there:

35 were spectators
25 flew strictly RC model airplane kits
3 flew strictly quadcopters
5 flew both quadcopters and model airplanes

Most of the planes were "off the shelf" kits that required assembly.
Most of the quadcopters came assembled

The group as a whole received the idea of an open workspace with interest. The proximity between the airfield and Diode's location is a strong selling point - Being only 3.1 miles apart. I gave everyone interested the link to daytondiode.org and the meetup page.

***We need to update the google maps location link on daytondiode.org

I counted maybe 4 Makers that would really fit in. I say this because they assembled their own machines from bare components.

2 expressed interest in showing up at our monthly meeting on Monday.

One of these two and also mentioned that he has a trunk load of servo motors if anyone is interested. I'll follow up with him on Monday to make sure he has any info he needs in order to show up.

-Andrew

This link is out of date!

J. Simmons

Jun 5, 2015, 10:04:05 AM6/5/15
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like it was a productive evening.  Thanks for the update.  Oh, and good catch about the location on the website.

Thanks for going and representing the Diode!

 -J

Joseph Mckibben

Jun 5, 2015, 10:13:22 AM6/5/15
to Dayton Diode

Yes thank you Andrew. We will get location fixed.

Ken Bailey

Jun 5, 2015, 2:41:44 PM6/5/15
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Location is fixed.