Vegan Cheese Recap & June Farm-to-College event

Dani Lee

May 6, 2013, 11:51:29 AM5/6/13
to daviscl...@googlegroups.com
Hi veg friends!

What a delicious Thursday we had! So many GREAT vegan cheeses, I went home feeling overwhelmingly satisfied AND excited to try out some of the great recipes!

Please do send your recipes out to the listserv!

Inline image 1
So many vegan cheeses!

Tortilla Chips

Ingredients:

  • 1-3/4 cups flax meal
  • 4 cups of frozen organic corn (thawed)
  • 1-1/3 cups water
  • 2-1/2 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 tbsp. cumin
  • 3/4 small red onion
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 tsp. sea salt
  • 1-1/2 tbsp. lime juice
  • 3 tsp. chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper

Raw vegan nachos that taste like the real thing!
1

Directions:

  1. Place flax meal in a large bowl. Blend all remaining ingredients except the chili powder and cayenne pepper in a high-speed blender until smooth.
  2. Add flax meal, chili powder and cayenne pepper to the blender and process for 20 seconds. Remove any lumps in the mixture by stirring. Taste and adjust
  3. Spread the mixture on the dehydrator sheet with the spatula to no more than 1/8-inch thickness and place in the dehydrator.
  4. Set a timer for 30 minutes.
  5. Remove the spread after 30 minutes. Using a paring knife, cut and shape into chips in the size you desire.
  6. Sprinkle the chips with sea salt and continue dehydrating until they reach the desired crispness (12-24 hours).

June’s Club Vegan EVENT: UC Davis Farm-to-College
6:30-8:00pm, Thursday, June 6th - Segundo Resident Area Lawn, UC Davis campus - $14-16/entry

We won't be meeting in the Teaching Kitchen for this one, we will be hanging out at an event that I help organize each year that celebrates our local and regional food system. There will be LOTS of vegan food available, live music and lots of freshman you can hang out with (!). I asked George to try and nab a spot right in from of the stage for ya'll to hang out. More details soon.

Cheers, friends!

Dani

Davis Food Co-op Club Vegan
dni...@ucdavis.edu | Facebook!
http://davisfood.coop/education/circles/clubvegan

Club Vegan meets the first Thursday of every month at 6:30pm at the Davis Food Co-op Teaching Kitchen!

---
Email List Etiquette:
- When you reply to a message that is sent to the mailing list, your response is sent to the whole mailing list. If you would like to keep your message private, reply directly to the original sender by copying and pasting their email address in the To: field.
- Please keep all emails to the mailing list relevant to vegan diet and lifestyle. This mailing list is intended for Club Vegan members to share events, stories, recipes and more! Keep our listserv community alive and full of resources!
- Please DO NOT solicit for services or advertise for products on the mailing list.
- Please limit any attachments to less than 2,000KB.
IMG_3827.JPG