D-RUG: Weekly meetup, discussing "sf" package

Ryan Peek

May 15, 2017, 3:22:41 PM5/15/17
to davi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Folks,

We will meet as usual, tomorrow from 10am-12pm in Shields Library Rm 360. If you want adventurous directions, see the treasure map on our website. If not, just go up to the third floor on the south side of the building and Room 360 is right next to the Elevators in the DSI space.

Tomorrow I'll will try to give a brief presentation (10 min) on the recent sf package in R. If you use spatial data at all, I would highly recommend checking it out.

I'll do my best to get something recorded, otherwise I'll send out a gist/github link to the material. I'll likely just run through a quick RMarkdown document with some code, and then we'll have the usual work session.

Please come to hang out, work, or ask questions.

Adios,
Ryan
--

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
John Muir (My First Summer in the Sierra, 1911)

Ryan Peek

Jun 2, 2017, 2:01:33 PM6/2/17
to Davis R Users' Group
Hi D-RUGies,

Happy Friday everyone. A couple things as the quarter draws to a close. We can continue to meet in the DSI over the summer on Tuesdays (10am-12) if there is enough interest. Please let me know (directly) if that's something you would like to attend or find useful. Otherwise I can send a poll out for some alternate options.

June 10 D-RUG worksession
I'm out of town for a conference next week, so if anyone wants to volunteer to host the Tuesday worksession next week (June 10), that would be great. Let me know and we can work out details. If not, we can always cancel for next week. Stay tuned.

sf package
I forgot to send out a link to the `sf` package material I covered a few weeks ago. There are some excellent vignettes online (here, here, and here), they have far more information. I just covered a few short examples and did a few tests showing how much quicker sf was when working with a large shapefile (or raster). The short Rmd presentation I gave is up on github (.md here or .Rmd here). The associated shapefiles (except the example that is >500MB) are in the same repo in the data folder, but they are zipped up.

That's all I've got for now. Thanks!

Adios,
Ryan